Battery Draining

Spiderman

Anyone got any ideas what might be draining the battery on my 92 Pulsar?
No lights left on and if i dont drive the car daily the battery is flat :sad:

P

pulsarboby

put a multimeter across the terminals to check charge rate....it should be around 13.5-14.5v
if its only showing battery voltage then will be a dodgy alternator, if thats ok then more than likely the plates in the battery are buckled and shorting so new battery!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
There is also the possibility of your alarm or similar always on device drawing too much power and draining the battery; it's not unheard of.
However, my experience is that the Pulsar does not eat batteries in the same way a Skyline does so I'd say the same as Bob; if the alternator is charging right, then the chances are that your battery is dead.

John

Yeah I had the very same issue with my R, although it was fairly clear it was the battery.

It went from being able to hold a charge for a week gradually down to 3 days, then a day then only a few hours. Most of these cars will of probably never seen a new battery and if your adding extra electrical equipment to what is a nissan micra size battery things arent going to end up very good are they.

If you dont have a multimeter to confirm ther isnt a dodgey circuit causing drain then change the battery, Tayna offer great service, mine arrived in just under 22 hours!

Link to Tayna R size battery: http://www.tayna.co.uk/Type-054-Varta-Asia-Car-Battery-P3201.html

Spiderman

Just checked the voltage and i am getting 14.55V at the battery with the engine running

A question regarding battery the battery fitted is a 35Ah small thing! The manual states a 60Ah battery and John's link takes me to 45Ah. My battery terminal connectors are 15mm diameter not 10mm as some people are saying it should be.
Is there any issue with fitting a 60Ah battery?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Nope. You'll probably find the larger connectors and the 60Ah battery are for a Sunny rather than for a Pulsar. If it fits go with it.

johnny gtir

was a thread up a while ago about this water was in an electrical plug making a circuit complete when it was not ment to be and running battery down or something like that

John

The battery Ive linked you to is a tad smaller than the standard one but is by far an away better than the stock Micra one. From my searches it was the post powerful one I could find at the size and it comes with the proper small spec Jap terminals. If you have a Sunny however just ignore it!

antgtir

Circuit earthing issues is always a possibility. Ive had a few issues with mine draining the battery over time although half that is my own fault with not starting the car as regularly as i should.

Ant.

skiddusmarkus

I have an Odyssey drycell battery and if I don't drive the car for a couple of weeks it goes flat.I bought a CTEK 800 charger and you can just leave it plugged in all the time and it keeps your battery tiptop as its a trickle charger as well as normal type.They're on ebay for around £25.They sometimes come up on the skanky Lidl offers for about £15, badged differently but the same thing.

Spiderman

Ive just shoehorned my Jeep Cherokee battery in and will see how this lasts. It previously sat in the jeep for 6 weeks without being run and it started first time.
The current draw on the Pulsar with everything turned off is only 0.02A therefore, i thinking its either the battery or a dodgy earth connection.

Will let you all know after a few days.

bob the builder

just another idea to add. have you fitted a new stereo recently?
i ask because if you get your premanent live and ignition live on some stereos it can discarge you battery overnight(as a friend of mine found out.after 3 different batterys.lol)
just a thought

Spiderman

OK here goes. No stereo fitted at the moment. If i use the car daily no issues starting at all. Parked the car up saturday night until now 3days and the battery is completely flat. There is an electrical clicking sound from the centre console behind the ashtray area anybody any ideas what circuitry/control unit is there?

Tim

Mine did this, it seems as if the alternator is to blame.

Replaced the alternator this evening, we'll see if it improves things.

Tim

Touch wood, it would appear so..

My car started draining it's battery all of a sudden, I linked this to some heavy rain fall we'd had and some un insulated connectors under the bonnet, as it appeared to solve its self after a few days. Then i left it a couple of days and it died again, charged it up and it worked for the evening, went to use it again the next day and battery was flat as a pancake. Then the alternator overcharged the battery, before starting to make rather odd noises. Eventually it flashed the battery light on the dash, and would do this whenever the car was given revs.

Took the alternator into a local bloke that refurbs them, he fixed one part of it, only to find that it would still overcharge and he couldn't get the parts to fix it. I fitted a second hand one on Tuesday, and it has been OK since then.

The battery discharging and stuff happened over about a 2 week period as it seemed to get better, then fail again, which was weird.

Have you checked with a multimeter that the alternator is charging sufficiently? Measuring between the two battery posts at idle with no lights or any other electrics on I get around 13.7 volts of current. You can also check for drains by putting a multimeter in amp mode and measuring in series between negative lead and negative battery post, you shouldn't see anymore than 0.3amps.

Tim

OK, teaches me for not reading the full thread, so the battery is charging..

Check for drains in that case, first at the battery, then if you have a drain of more than 0.3 amps check each and every fuse until you find the culprit.

Spiderman

just started to do that. I have found the electrical ticking noise and it is a green relay fitted that fastens to an ecu. If the relay is not plugged in the car will not start. If i unplug the relay and then plug it back it does not click. I am now on the hunt for a new relay.

Spiderman

Right phase 3 complete. If i pull the green relay attached to the ecu in the passengers side footwell the battery lasts for well 7 days so far. I tried replacing the relay with one from Bob and it still does the same thing of ticking away unless i pull it out and put it back in. Anyone got any ideas why the ECU relay is not shutting down?