Banging sound

B

bean

I've got this annoying clunking banging sound coming from the front of the car, it's more noticeable when setting off slowly.

I've check the CV joints and the front shocks don't seem visibly shagged.

Any idea what it is?

I'm seriously considering trading it in for something else, don't fancy fixing the clutch, replacing tyres/zorst etc... :(

I need some encouragement to keep the R :roll:

A

Anonymous

I had this knocking noise and it turned out to be the front shocks. Like yourself I had them checked and they seemed ok, but after replacing them the kncoking went away.

Even wasted 30 quid on strut top bearings thinking it was those.

Up to you to decide if its financially viable to keep it mate. Unfortunately even the youngest of R's is cracking on 10 years so no matter how well its been looked after things are going to need replacing from general wear and tear.

Dan

B

bean

Sorry to moan, I'm not having a good day and the R is getting the blame for everything.... :oops:

What shocks did you replace them with? I don't wanna pay more than £100 for a pair really.

A

Anonymous

I got a set of gabs in good condition off here for 100 quid funny enough.

you will get a good set of used shocks off here for less than 100 quid, but I think the standard nissan ones are 100 quid each.

Try and find out for definate though that the shocks are shot, there could be a few other things knocking.

Dan

A

Anonymous

I had this same problem before i had my front mount put in, it made a cracking, snapping sound on the front left wheel side area, when i took it to interpro to get the front mount they found it out to be that the inner chassis leg is snapped, no biggy, got it fixed.
I was at the stage where i could not give a fcuk about the R, NOW all has changed, hold on to it we have a great Car which many pepole love.
I went to my to the local pertol station, pull up in my company car (Civic type R) and the shopkepper goes, 'Where is your R how can you even think about trading it in for that', i said, 'no the R is at home this is just my company car', and just to think my R is worth 1/3 of the civic. :D

KEEP THE BABY

zia

it might be the engine mount on the lower front bar?open bonnet get a friend to see where the noise is coming from while you with handbrake applied gently bring the clutch to biting point.if there is signifcant movement the mount might be worn.

zia

B

bean

Cheers guys, I've got a couple of days of so I'll have another and see if I can find what's wrong.

I really want to let my mate chip it take the R to 300bhp.

I'm sure I'll get there in the end, just get a bit despondant sometimes.