autospeed article

O

Odin

I noticed that he has the phantom grip fitted as well as a top mounted turbo like my new set up.

Rob

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
He also had a PAR Gearbox, but it doesn't mean its any good!! :lol:

Rishi

Rishi

Odin said:
It seems to work ok on his 500+ bhp car :thumbsup: .

Rob
Yeah for the whole 1hour the guy was there for the photos and interview!!

I mean in all his wisdom of using a bonnet melting top mount setup and Phantom grip he also decided to leave the Brakes standard!! Yeah, i'll be listening to everything this guys comes out with! hahaa!

Rishi

Last edited:

MINESGTIR

why does everyone slate PAR. ill be buying one soon and know people who have used them for years.. they seem very good... its going to be fine all day long for 500 bhp and much better value then quaiffe

scottyd

I have a top mount setup and there is no problems with melting the bonnet as the turbo sits directly beneath the bonnnet vent so any heat escapes without being trapped.

Rishi

MINESGTIR said:
why does everyone slate PAR. ill be buying one soon and know people who have used them for years.. they seem very good... its going to be fine all day long for 500 bhp and much better value then quaiffe

The build quality is poor.. More noticable when you see one side by side with the Quaife and PPG

You'll also run into 1st and Reverse issues.. i.e gears getting stuck or not engaging apparently.. Although i suspect that could be people not double clutching between Reverse and 1st like you are supposed to!

scottyd said:
I have a top mount setup and there is no problems with melting the bonnet as the turbo sits directly beneath the bonnnet vent so any heat escapes without being trapped.
I would have thought running silly boost and a red hot turbo that close to the bonnet without a heat shield may have an affect on it..

At the end of the day, I'm just trying to get Rob to bite.. :lol: He's doing well so far!..

Rishi

O

Odin

RishiGTiR said:
At the end of the day, I'm just trying to get Rob to bite.. :lol: He's doing well so far!..

Rishi

I can't bite if I'm not in :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

And I wouldn't of bitten anyway ;-) .

Rob

Keira

MINESGTIR said:
have held ppg gears, quaife gears and par gears in my hand and seeing first hand, with my own 4 eyes :lol: the quality or lack of, there is one gearset i wouldn't spend my money on

and that would be the par..

no doubt they're fine once whoever is building the box has cleaned up all the shite machining and actually made it fit togther as its supposed but i'd much prefer a gearset that fits with minimal work..

MINESGTIR

please explain the PAR BOX SAGA..

im ready to buy one of their straight cut 1-4 straight cut boxes... par assure me problems of old were due to people assembling the boxes themselves and not letting par do it ?
if they build it for me and posted it (£2300 all in to my door) then it would be good for 500bhp and launches all day long?
please explain any saga youve had with par or know about !!

many thanks !

one worried potential par owner

Keira

ask yourself this..

why would any decent gearbox builder have trouble assembling any gearset over any other ?

why would a manufacturer of a gearset claim people have had trouble because they didn't get the box built by themselves ?

ask yourself why its so much cheaper ready built and posted ?

the quality of maching is absolute shite, infact it was disgusting on the gears i've seen, you'd have to pay someone to clean it all up before they even put the box togther, there were issues with their rods aswell.

i dont use the guy but ring bernie (cts) and ask him what he thinks of them, he's done a few pars when people brought them the last time round

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
GINGA said:
This is Ivans car who used to post on here before the Par gearbox saga
Surprised noone else has noticed. I only recognised it when I saw Gizmo.

I seem to remember he ran a low 11 on the strip, but had no plans to try and hit 10s as a whole new set of rules came into play if he did.