AUTO GTi-R

jap-jet

Hey guys just wondering if Nissan every made a auto gtir at all if not anyone seen a conversion done and know how much one would cost?
Thanks
Adam

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I haven't seen or heard of one. Unless you have a medical condition, why would you want to slow the car down ? :shock:

E

Evil_GtiR

I've seen one for sale in NZ and it's an auto. I dont know who would buy one though

jap-jet

I wanna put an auto in to get faster times on the drag strip and i feel that spending 6k on an auto gear box will make it stronger than a manual

S

Sirnixalot

auto doesnt automatically (pun intended) mean faster times. IT means more CONSISTENT runs. Gear ratios is where the difference is.

jap-jet

I understand what your saying but the fact that the quickest wrx in the world runs an auto setup would i think mean that they can handle the power output it would have and can provide a better launch and lower times

skiddusmarkus

You'd be looking at either a developement box or FWD/RWD to get an auto.Fuel consumption would be even worse and when it kicks down on a corner will be interesting :shock: .
I drove an automatic turbodiesel people carrier recently and was actually impressed with it's inital grip at pulling away.The disadvantages outweight that though as it used more fuel,to get revs to match speed for bends you have to left foot brake and keep your right on the throttle which will knacker them eventually.The list goes on....
Autos are not for a car like ours and unless you're going to spend your life(and all your money)at the strip then don't do it.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I know alot of the big V8's use 3 speed (I think) autos down the strip, but on a Gtir The power sapping and extra weight of the auto box would slow you down compared to one without.
I'd agree with the consistancy thing. I went against a BMW 850 auto twice, years ago at the pod (in my last car :wink: ) His times were within 10thou of each other. (Yes I stuffed him :wink: )

B

Brett G

If its just for the drag strip then setup right etc then suerly its gotta be fast!! :lol:
But I'm sure you would need not only an auto box but a F***ing great wod of money to get a system that is advanced enough to work well under all the possible circumstances (on the track/road) :roll:

A

Anonymous

best thing would be quaife`s sequential gearbox at 15k :shock:

A

Anonymous

Regarding this topic, can't a U13 bluebird auto box be used. I know they had a different SR20DET, but if you were to start somewhere, wouldn't this be the most logical place to do start. I dunno how rare these U13 4WD auto boxes are, or if they would fit at all

Gino

mattygti-r

if i wanted an auto, id buy a rover, along with some slippers and a pipe...

ffs.....its an R, :roll:

ive just got visions of the car going "you have selected park" ...

thats half the fun of the R, and any manual car, working the gears to get the most of it.

auto eliminates all driver skill