Apexi Power FC Problem

AFDanHef

Hey guys, I bought a bunch of parts to get me around 300-350hp, including an Apexi Power FC. I read up online about how to install the PFC and how to initialize and do the 30 minute idle learn setup. I bought the PFC used from Bob at GTi-r-us about a year ago and he said that the previous owner was running a big tune with a good bit of hp. So I would need to reset the PFC when I installed on my car as all I have right now is a fmic and exhaust. I installed the PFC and the car started fine but hunts for the idle during the entire 30 minute setup. After 30 minutes the idle is still crappy and it runs extremely rich and I think the knock is going through the roof, especially when I give it a little rev. The knock bar on the controller goes up with the revs of the engine and the engine revs really badly with sputtering and backfiring. The car runs fine with the stock ECU except for it runs really rich even with the stock ECU. I was going to re-initialize the PFC and try again but my neighbor started complaining that the petrol fumes were gassing out his house!! Anyway, I'm going to take the Pulsar to a tuner to tune the PFC but I would like to have as many things as I can installed before I get there as to cut down price. Anybody got any suggestions??

Thanks

stumo

your problem looks like the map in the PFC will be for a different setup than yours.

the best thing you can do is to fit the std ecu back in until you can have the PFC mapped. To carry on using the PFC would be madness as running that rich will be damaging your engine.

Depending on how long you have run the PFC you might want to change the oil as it might be full of fuel and that's not good.

you say you've bought "a bunch of parts to get you 300-350hp" what parts have you bought and what have you fitted?

you also say "Anyway, I'm going to take the Pulsar to a tuner to tune the PFC but I would like to have as many things as I can installed before I get there as to cut down price. Anybody got any suggestions??"

suggestions about what? what parts you need? you don't need much to get to 330hp...the accepted view of what's needed is a uprated fuel pump, some harder grade plugs and turn up the boost (a decent intercooler is prefered but not essential)

Fusion Ed

Not being funny, but may save a ton of time if you bring it to someone (like me!!!) to have a look over it :)

AFDanHef

your problem looks like the map in the PFC will be for a different setup than yours.

the best thing you can do is to fit the std ecu back in until you can have the PFC mapped. To carry on using the PFC would be madness as running that rich will be damaging your engine.

Depending on how long you have run the PFC you might want to change the oil as it might be full of fuel and that's not good.

you say you've bought "a bunch of parts to get you 300-350hp" what parts have you bought and what have you fitted?

you also say "Anyway, I'm going to take the Pulsar to a tuner to tune the PFC but I would like to have as many things as I can installed before I get there as to cut down price. Anybody got any suggestions??"

suggestions about what? what parts you need? you don't need much to get to 330hp...the accepted view of what's needed is a uprated fuel pump, some harder grade plugs and turn up the boost (a decent intercooler is prefered but not essential)

Before I ever started the car with the PFC, I did an "Initialize". By what I've read the "Initialize" should delete any tune that is on the PFC and send it back to basic operating map.

By "a bunch of parts" I mean I've got: Apexi PFC; Walbro fuel pump; 550cc inj; Greddy boost controller; 300ZX MAF ...... I guess to someone with a fully loaded Pulsar this may not sound like a "bunch"

All I currently have fitted to the car is a front mount intercooler and a full blue flame exhaust.

I did some reading around last night and I think I may have a sensor that is bad. Since it runs rich with the stock ECU I'm thinking that it may be the MAF or knock sensor. I read up on how to check the fault code with the stock ECU but does anyone know how to test if the sensors are working with the PFC? The commander on the PFC doesn't highlight any sensors as bad when I go to the "sensors ck" screen.

Last edited:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
If you use the commander you can read all the sensor inputs to the PFC.

If you've done a rest and you are using standard MAF and injectors then the car should run. IF you're having problems, check your crank angle sensor in the dizzy is tight as I chased my tail for many months trying to find that. I've found the PFC is less tolerant of sensor "noise" errors than the standard ECU.

Now your car has been running like a bag of spanners though, you'll find your plugs are carboned up which means the car misfires more so then you get more carbon on your plugs etc etc.

The smell of fuel might be misfires rather than a rich mixture.

Self learn mode is a waste of petrol in my experience. If it's not idling all right on standard components after a reset then get testing. Clean up your earths on the inlet manifold too just in case.

Cheers,
Jim

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
If you're not mapping the car then it might be worth giving the problem to the person who is as Ed says.

stumo

Try these things..... if you don't know how to do them either ask or search the forum.

reset your ign timing (don't forget to disconnect the throttle sensor)

reset the throttle sensor( check the resistances of the sensor)

clean up all the earths, both on the engine and the body

do a fault code check.

does it still have the standard fuel pressure regulator or an aftermarket one? do a pressure check if you can (essential if you've got an aftermarket one. ) with the engine running and the vac hose disconnected the pressure should be 3 bar.

do all this and report back.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If you've done a rest and you are using standard MAF and injectors then the car should run. IF you're having problems, check your crank angle sensor in the dizzy is tight as I chased my tail for many months trying to find that. I've found the PFC is less tolerant of sensor "noise" errors than the standard ECU.
Does resetting the unit revert back to the standard base map, or just whatever it was last set to? Surely if it's expecting 600cc injectors and a Z32 MAF (as an example) all the voltages will be set incorrectly for 444cc injectors and an N14 MAF... or not?
Either way it's going to need to be remapped before it will run correctly... won't it?

Is there also something with the boost controller whereby it expects to see it by default and runs badly until to remember to disable it?

stumo

Does resetting the unit revert back to the standard base map, or just whatever it was last set to? Surely if it's expecting 600cc injectors and a Z32 MAF (as an example) all the voltages will be set incorrectly for 444cc injectors and an N14 MAF... or not?
Either way it's going to need to be remapped before it will run correctly... won't it?

Is there also something with the boost controller whereby it expects to see it by default and runs badly until to remember to disable it?
mine barely ran if the boost controller wasn't switched off BUT the car is running badly even with the stock ecu so those problems need sorting before anything else.

stumo

mine barely ran if the boost controller wasn't switched off BUT the car is running badly even with the stock ecu so those problems need sorting before anything else.

I remember the first time (whilst mapping it) that it somehow switched itself off, and i spent ages checking everything only to spot itwhen i was looking for something else :doh: