Apexi power fc and commander

icecool70

Does this (as above) have to be gtir specific or can i say buy one that was of a nissan gts-t r33 or will it be totally different? thanks

Mad

Its a shame as the GTiR units seem to be more expensive than most of the other models

Fusion Ed

Don't sweat it. The stock ECU works better when tuned imo for the GTI-R anyway :) To demonstrate this point try putting 1000cc injectors on pfc with a closed loop idle. Works fine on stock ECU!

icecool70

yes twice as much...never mind thanks for your replys guys.
looks like i will be visiting you ed sometime in the future then when i've managed to get the rest of the bits i need

Fusion Ed

No prob, I'm trying damn hard not to sound like an advert, but its really no issue any more that the power FC for the SR20 is so hard and so expensive to get hold of, regardless who does it if you don't mind not having a display, (and there are other ways where you can on stock ecu) then stock ECU can do everything you'll ever need from a road car.

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
ECU talk. - Doesn't let you fiddle like the hand commander does... but equally doesn't let you screw-up your maps.

Without any in-depth knowledge, the PFC seems to be a very popular choice for strip (and maybe track) cars, but somewhat problematic on road cars. For example that odd incompatibility with some CAS units, problems with the closed-loop idle.

Fusion Ed

I would say that the PFC imo is generally great, i love it for Evos etc, just on the RNN14 it just doesn't feel so much at home, my opinion is specific to the Pulsar, not any other cars that can run PFC.

Mad

I would say Haltech is way up there but the Apexi is very much plug and play which makes things a lot cheaper and easier whilst still offering a lot of features.

Pretty much personal opinion I suppose.

chrisniss91

I had apower fc on my old gtir, mapped by a well known tuner on the evo scene, and it ran very poorly and on the way home from him mapping it the engine blew up. I took it to hiteq who rebuilt the engine, hiteq also discovered that to get the idling right the previous tuner had turned off all the safety features. Once hiteq mapped it i always said it was the best thing i'd bought for the car.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That's still a story about how much trouble you had with a PFC until you paid for someone to fix it for you... I'm not saying it's not a good bit of kit, but there seem to be quite a few threads about how people can't get their car to idle with a PFC, or why they can't get it to work until they put a new distributor in; that doesn't seem very plug-n-play to me.

gtirjoey

i sold my pfc to go down the nistune route.....
mainly because everywhere i went to have it mapped diddnt do it properly car never run like i wanted it to, still yet to use the car with the nistune setup but ive got faith in it, and the man setting it up for me:-D
will still miss the look of the commander sitting on the dash though

Last edited:

chrisniss91

That's still a story about how much trouble you had with a PFC until you paid for someone to fix it for you... I'm not saying it's not a good bit of kit, but there seem to be quite a few threads about how people can't get their car to idle with a PFC, or why they can't get it to work until they put a new distributor in; that doesn't seem very plug-n-play to me.
yeah it was lots of trouble until hiteq did it, the idleing was going crazy until ian sorted it.