anyone running HID lights in a R

Gav_Kara

hi thinking of getting HID for my R are anyone got um in theres and are they worth getting and the best place to buy um
cheers gav

D

d2wul

i got the 6000k they look good at nite, got them off fleebay for 60 quid:thumbsup:

W

wolvogtir

I got some 6000k in mine too, they look sooo kool at night, as long as the beam setting is ok then no MOT issue's although to be road legal you should have headlight washers and self setting beam ie of suspension.

youngsyp

For decent light output, you don't want to go any higher than 6000k for the colour temperature. In a lamp housing that is not designed for HID light output, you'll get a white light with the 6000k kit. If you go any lower on the colour temp scale, you'll start to get a yellower light output.

If you do a search, I posted up a link to the kit I bought last year. They are a true bi-xenon kit that gives you HID dipped and high beam, not the usual HID dipped beam and halogen high beam.

The kit was £109 all in from a UK based ebayer who also parts for the kits.

I had 90/100w halogen bulbs previously and obviously they were bright but, they're nothing in comparison to the HID kit. As the light is white as well, you'll see even more detail on the road.

Paul

GTiR_Spin

Are these high/low beams ur putting in with the HID kits, cause ive seen lots of cars with just one stage HID's which im not interested in. and do they stil utilize the standard high/low tab on the steering column, not interested in a custom switch either.

youngsyp

GTiR_Spin said:
Are these high/low beams ur putting in with the HID kits, cause ive seen lots of cars with just one stage HID's which im not interested in.
Read my post mate....

And to add, the kit I got uses a solenoid (all built into the bulb assembly) to move the bulb in and out, to change the way the lense focuses the light. So, you don't get any loss of light in the dip to full beam transition.

GTiR_Spin said:
and do they stil utilize the standard high/low tab on the steering column, not interested in a custom switch either.
You will see no difference in the way the lights operate, they all use the stock light switch and dip/full control.

Paul

Garef

I've got some Hid's and they look the dogs swingers at night. As for being legal, I read recently that it's nothing to do with the actual bulbs being illegal, it's the lens, to make them legal you must get a lens that is specifically designed for the bulbs, something weird like that.

CanadianR

forgive my stupidity, but do GTIR headlights have reflector housings or something? HID's are something I have wanted to look into for the car for a long time, but supposedly putting HID's into headlights with reflector housings is a bad idea (too bright or distracting for oncoming traffic?)??

kenan

South West Regional Rep
youngsyp, could you post up a pic of the units fitted inside the engine bay ?

I have them fitted to my R and they are the dogs dangly bits!!
I got mine from www.HIDS4U.co.uk.
And the kit is a bi-xenon one so you get dipped and full beam HID light.
The kit should have been £150 but through another forum i use we had a 40% discount set up so my kit was £89 delivered next day!!!

Straight forward fitment also - was all plug and play too.

They also come with a 2 year warranty with this mob too.

youngsyp

kenan said:
youngsyp, could you post up a pic of the units fitted inside the engine bay ?
I'll try and get some pics for you matey. Is there anything specific you wanted to know ?

Paul

youngsyp

Garef said:
I read recently that it's nothing to do with the actual bulbs being illegal, it's the lens, to make them legal you must get a lens that is specifically designed for the bulbs, something weird like that.
That's right mate. They won't measure light output at MOT time, just where the beam pattern is aiming. The same would be true if you got pulled over by plod, and one of the inspection unit officers checked the car over....
CanadianR said:
forgive my stupidity, but do GTIR headlights have reflector housings or something? HID's are something I have wanted to look into for the car for a long time, but supposedly putting HID's into headlights with reflector housings is a bad idea (too bright or distracting for oncoming traffic?)??
Exactly mate. Any light housing/optics designed for halogen bulbs, simply won't function correctly with HID lights due to the 3 fold increase in light output. This will result in spikes in the light pattern on the road and/or extreme glare for oncoming traffic.
You'll notice that cars fitted with HID lights, usually utilise projector type housings/optics (like a minature fish bowl). These have a piece of metal inside, that is shaped in a distinct way, to cut off the light output at a pre-defined height, as well as the internal shaping of the optics.

When I fitted my kit, I needed to lower the beam on the O/S/F just about a qtr of a turn and it's been fine, not flashes from anyone. Because of the sheer amount of light on the road, you'll not notice the difference in the slightly withdrawn beam pattern.

I left the N/S/F as it was and it lights up road signs from miles away but, again, if I sit behind a car, at a decent distance, the beam pattern height is still way below where it would cause glare in the rear view mirror. In fact, it's usually half way between the bumper and bottom edge of the rear window.

Paul

kenan

South West Regional Rep
youngsyp said:
I'll try and get some pics for you matey. Is there anything specific you wanted to know ?

Paul
Just some pics of the balists fitted and the back of the headlight where the new units are fitted. Everyone shos pics of the headlights output but haven't seen an "installation" picture yet. Getting mine later in the year when it gets dark again :thumbsup:

youngsyp

kenan said:
Just some pics of the balists fitted and the back of the headlight where the new units are fitted.
No worries, I'll try and get some up.

I thought that finding somewhere for the ballast/ignitor packs to go was the hardest part of the install. The rest of the process is very straight forward.

Paul