anyone know wot a dual port actuator does.............

JIMMYBACK

kieron said:
its an actuator with 2 ports, thats what dual means, 2 :wink: makes them more responsive i think
o right i just been told it can held wiv turbo lag apparentley :shock: maybe even a crude anti lag system :shock: 8) :twisted: :twisted:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Wastegate actuator?
Do you mean 2 connections to it instead of the normal one? If so, it's to make them adjustable. The extra feed goes to the opposite side of the diaprhagm and the boost fed to that side (0-1bar for example, by an incar adjuster or whatever) cancels out the same amount of boost on the normal side, so the turbo has to make more boost to overcome this.
It's effectively the same as fitting a stonger spring. but when the body starts leaking it don't work anymore :?

If it ain't this ignore me :oops: ( I don''t buy performance ford :wink: )

Keira

The wastegate actuator for the 1984 model was a dual port unit, one side of which was connected to the intake manifold pressure, the other of which was connected to the throttle body. This allowed the opening of the wastegate during vacuum (non-boost driving), and then again during boost limitation. The 1985 and later turbos did not have this feature.
cant remember what car this is they're on about and cant actually see how it helps, must be thick :lol:

but guess its do with what i said before about responsivness

JIMMYBACK

kieron said:
The wastegate actuator for the 1984 model was a dual port unit, one side of which was connected to the intake manifold pressure, the other of which was connected to the throttle body. This allowed the opening of the wastegate during vacuum (non-boost driving), and then again during boost limitation. The 1985 and later turbos did not have this feature.
cant remember what car this is they're on about and cant actually see how it helps, must be thick :lol:

but guess its do with what i said before about responsivness
isnt that wot antilag does keep the waste gate opent so the turbo hold pressure whilt your foot os off the gas :shock: if thats the case like i think it is i want one

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
JIMMYBACK B said:
wot u mean about the body start leaking??? please explain :D
cheers jimmy
When I had one on my old car, it started leaking quite heavily out around the hole where the actuator rod comes out of the body, so all the boost that went in that side (the extra feed) just leaked out :? and so it went back to being non adjustable. :(

Keira

JIMMYBACK B said:
isnt that wot antilag does keep the waste gate opent so the turbo hold pressure whilt your foot os off the gas :shock: if thats the case like i think it is i want one
antilag works by keeping the turbo on boost even when you aren't on the throttle, its not controlling the wastegate, its keeping the turbo spinning 8)

With the wastegate open your restricting the amount of boost you can create, thats the purpose of the waste gate and actuator to control the boost levels the turbo creates, without them you'd run unlimited boost :shock:

what i'm saying is i cant see how opening the wastegate on vacuam would actually help anything :?

like i said..must be thick :?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
JIMMYBACK B said:
That's what the dump valve is supposed to do :- keep your turbo spinning while your foot is off the throttle, but it does it by dumping air either to atmosphere or by recirculating it.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Antilag can be done by ( I think :oops: ) injecting extra fuel and setting the spark off when the exhaust valve is still open, so the mixture burns and blows enough gases through the turbo to keep it spinning when the throttle is closed. (probably not exactly right, but it's the general idea :wink: )

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
Ren.5 Turbo's have this dual port setup on the actuator on the std T2 turbo.

It means that by using a mechanical twin bleed valve type setup the boost can be preset high / low and controlled from within the car by a dash mounted bleed valve. Altho' by blocking one set of pipes you can make the car more responsive (altho' boost actually drops).

No antilag function as such, well not on the GTT anyway :)