ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET MY WHEELS POWDER COATED WHITE?

P

PaddyPower

As the post reads i have a set of wheels that i want done white. Any ideas on where and how much?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It might be worth contacting a wheel manufacturer as I guess this is something that must be done right or the tyre might not seal right.

M

MarkMc

Here are some things to look out for if you are going to get it powder coated.
To get a good result with powder coating you need to make sure the powder can key into the metal properly when curing. They generally need to clean(baths) the metal several time and etch(chromate) it before painting. If your wheels are already painted you may find the original paint crazes from the 180 to 220 degC curing. If the wheels are already powered coated you can paint over the top, but again it will not key into the metal it will only key into the paint(sub,st) and could give varied(orange peel) results from what I have seen. Other things to look out for particularly with white is that if you over cure the paint it can go slightly pink(this is most common with environmentally friendly powders). I would suggest cleaning(evaporative solvent) the wheel first(makes sure you use nothing with silicone base ie no wd40) or here comes the fish eyes. Then maybe even running it through the oven to see if the original layer crazes. Then go from there.

Cheers
mark

Si..

for starters dont even bother trying to strip the paint off, the wheels need to be properly shot blasted to remove every impurity from the surface,

secondly what wheels are you wanting to coat, if they're light weight wheels you need to know if they've got magnesium in them, if they have forget powder coatings as powder needs to be cured in an oven at 200c and if the mag doesnt catch a light in the oven it'll definatly make your rims brittle which could be lethal :shock:

where are you buy the way??? i might be able to do them if your not to far away, i've done my own and a few sets for other's 8)

sad as it is, i actually work for the biggest powder coating manafacturer there is. :oops:

DRC

good old diy never hurt!!!! i did mine white took the hole day. cost 25quid not one scratch on em....... been used daily and i did it in the summer.

P

PaddyPower

Can any of you post up pics of your white rims. I have just ordered up some white supper T's but they wont be here for 6-8 weeks :cry: