anyone know anythink about an upratted ignation system

A

Anonymous

hello iam new to the gtiroc. Ive got a 92 pulsar gtir with heated seats sunroof and heated mirrors, quiaf gearbox HKS foged pistons HKS head gasket, this is the stuff i done after a piston ring went on me. but before these mods it ran 266bhp on a rolling road with the ring gone as compression was down on 1 cylinder it runs stardard boast but when the turbo come in it kicks hard nissan think it may be cams or ignation as they not had a pulsar kick so hard as turbo comes in. when it went on roller it had a k&n and a mongoose exhurst that all i though it had. its back now on run in and only half boast but it still fast. can any help me find out if the ignation is uprated. also dont put bp superunleaded in ur gtir as this is wot i think caused my engine to become poor. it was runnin sweet till i put bp in. i refilled the tank with optmax and the car impoved any help on this matter would be helpful.
ps sorry to ramble on with this

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Check your coil to the righ to of the rocker cover looking head on. If ita dull black transformer looking thing that says Nissan then its standard. If you've got a big. Check your leads too. If these are blue or red then you might have had aftermarket leads.

For cams, check for crap idle and frequent bounces off the rev limiter :lol:

TBH, its probably just getting your engine re-built with better bits and to higher tolerances. I know a few people who after a re-build have said they're engine performed far better after.

BTW, what about BP ultimate, its meant to be the same as optimax but net tested mthe difference myself yet.

skiddusmarkus

Has anyone fitted a more powerful coil?The standard one is very weedy looking?
The first(and only) day I put BP "Ultimate" :evil: in,my engine detted and died.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I don't think an uprated ignition system would make that bigger difference, but ignition timing might. I'd be surprised if you don't have uprated cams in there. Do you have a copy of a rolling road printout you could post up for us?

A

Anonymous

so iam not the only 1 to have promblems with bp fuel ill have a look at the car in a bit as for rollin road i not got it but remember the torge curve shot rite up. the engine inturnals are the same spec as Dp motorsports 10 of the best car that ran a 11.09 1/4 mile. I spent my money havin engine make to take big power i only had the car 8 monthsso still new to it. it does tic over abit on the it not so sure wot its up 2 like so may av a cam.

It would be fairly obvious if you had an aftermarket ignition i think.

Iv ordered a MSD digital 6+ so i'll be able to give you guys an idea of the before after difference. Im not expecting much of a difference as i only bought it to help stop detonation. Ill be using the stock coil with this system apparently the stock coil is like 50,000Volt and that is good enough for a stock ingnition. I can always get a blaster 2 later.

According to the guys on sr20forum our ignitions are sweet upto 350whp.