Anti roll bar missing

deewig

I bought a GTIR a few months ago, mainly for parts as I have a decent shell, I ran it for a couple of months and all seemed ok, I now have it up in the air ready to drop the engine etc and have noticed the front anti roll bar is missing !, can anyone tell me if this is a mod done for the track ? or something to do with lowering the car ? Ive never come across this before, cheers.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm not convinced it's a particularly smart thing to do; better to stiffen the rear ARB than remove the front one, but I don't know if it has any other effect on the alignment etc.

I might have a spare in the shed. - I need to empty it to move house pretty soon, so there's no point moving it to another shed.

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Its doesnt effect alignment george, alot of well set up cars dont need arb, they fit them to compensate for people who cant drive on road cars as they can be tail happy without...so they dial understeer into a cars setup

Gtir123

So loose the front are and tail comes out..!??????? If so I've missed that... back to slingshot out of a roundabout :)
Mine understeer bad (lowered Springs on standard. Shocks) could this help..??

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
You
So loose the front are and tail comes out..!??????? If so I've missed that... back to slingshot out of a roundabout :)
Mine understeer bad (lowered Springs on standard. Shocks) could this help..??
You need to set the car up properley and lowering springs on stock shocks is no good.

Gtir123

Can you give me a run down of bits req please as love tail happy cars my old Subaru type-r was like a wet fish until you locked the diff

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Can you give me a run down of bits req please as love tail happy cars my old Subaru type-r was like a wet fish until you locked the diff
I will write it up later for you...hope you like lift off oversteer..lol

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Its doesnt effect alignment george, alot of well set up cars dont need arb, they fit them to compensate for people who cant drive on road cars as they can be tail happy without...so they dial understeer into a cars setup
Fair enough, but I still think it's better to dial it out by stiffening the rear rather than just removing the front; that way you've still got control of the roll rate rather than making it unpredictable. - I'm sure I got told it was an MOT failure to have suspension components missing, but I guess that relies on the tester recognising that it's not there.

deewig

Thanks for all the info,
I have D2 coil overs on plus an aftermarket rear bar and the cars sitting pretty low, the shell that i`m going into has the front bar present so maybe I will leave it on and try it but I must admit the car drives just fine.
On a different note, the engine should hit the floor today (gently I hope) I have left the boxes on for now, are there any tips for essential jobs to do while the engine is out of the shell ? I have already fitted a recon starter and replaced the front mounted oil cooler with a standard one, most of the wiring was sorted when the omex was installed, injectors are cleaned and serviced, new oil and water line for the turbo are made, cheers.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
When my car arrived from Japan it had NO front OR rear ARB. Have since fitted a whiteline adjustable to the rear but never anything to the front, it drives pretty well as it is tbh.