Alternator

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Ok, I've put this is "Parts Wanted" but I'd be just as happy with some good advice as someone having one for sale. - The wife would prefer I bought new anyway...

The short version is that I had to have a ride home on a tilt-tray truck today because the alternator packed-in about half an hour from home. :doh:
First the charging light came on (so I was trying to keep the revs up which kept it off)... then the anti-lock light... then the fan stopped... the windscreen wipers slowed down...then I had to stop for traffic lights, and when I set off again it started to misfire (and that's about where I stopped trying to flog a dead horse). :roll:

Anyway, the Green Flag man confirmed what I'd thought given the events of the previous hour or so; the alternator is shot (2 rather than the 6 little LEDs light-up on his tester).

So, where's the best place to get a new one? I'm happy to go to Nissan with a part number if the pricing isn't too bad, but I'm probably more happy to take an exchange reconditioned one and save a bit... and I'd rather not have another one of uncertain history that may not be much better than the one I've got. ;-)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks for the advice Martyin. - Ok people, what have you got?

Bobmeister, YHPM

antgtir

George,

I have a second hand alternator available from the red R im breaking. Was working perfectly when car was running. You can have that for £30 if pick up can be arranged. Im Liverpool based.

Cheers,

Ant.

projectgtir

You could try rebuilding it ,its not that difficult i did mine about 3 months ago the only hard bit was undoing the main pulley bolt without damaging the pulley itself . But depending on whats failed or failing could be nearly as much for parts as an exchange for a recon item. Or it could be something cheap.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I might have a look at rebuilding it, but for now I need to get back on the road. - I've started a new job in Stoke, so until I move I'm doing ~120 miles a day in the R... although the last 30 odd yesterday where on the back of a truck admittedly.
Anyway, my wife gets the short straw for now because she'll have the catch the bus whilst I steal her car. - You can see why she told me to get it sorted and pay for a new one if that's what's required.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks for the offers people, seeing as Ant is pretty close I can get my hands on his quickly (and hopefully be back in the R on Monday).