alternator

stuarty

About 2 months ago my alternator started to rattle so i took it to a garage and they said it was the brushes and bearing that was rattling so he said rather than get another one, just get this one rebuilt.

Now 2 months later it has started to do it again but now even worse and to say the least i am mega fu^ked off.

Now does the alternator seem to be weak point on the pulsars?? cos i now dont know whether to buy a second hand unit or a new one at the rather steep price of 300 quid.
Plus last time i got charged for 3 hours labour @£47 an hour plus £90 for the rebuild.

Any thoughts.........

Cheers.

Dooie Pop Pop

stuarti said:
About 2 months ago my alternator started to rattle so i took it to a garage and they said it was the brushes and bearing that was rattling so he said rather than get another one, just get this one rebuilt.

Now 2 months later it has started to do it again but now even worse and to say the least i am mega fu^ked off.

Now does the alternator seem to be weak point on the pulsars?? cos i now dont know whether to buy a second hand unit or a new one at the rather steep price of 300 quid.
Plus last time i got charged for 3 hours labour @£47 an hour plus £90 for the rebuild.

Any thoughts.........

Cheers.
they charged you three hrs labour??!!:shock:

in that case they probably 'tested' your car up and down a local strip 20 times and you paid for it:sad: you can swap an alternator faster than Odin can eat a packet of jaffa cakes:thumbsup:

buy a second hand one from pulsarbob it comes with a guarantee dont ya know;-)

stuarty

Cheers just speaking to my brother and he reckons that it should have some sort of warranty/ guarantee or something cant remember the word he used.......so will try that on Monday.

Failing that will speak to Bob.........

P

pulsarboby

yes mate your right!
all remanufactured units will have a years warranty on them, dont be fobbed off with a load of bullsh1t.

if i buy an alternator for a customers vehicle from my parts supplier and the customer brings it back say 6 months later with that part being faulty then i will remove it and get another unit in exchange (which i dont pay for)
i will then put an invoice in to the people who supplied me the alternator and they in turn will pass it on to the people who re-manufacture the units.
my labour invoice is then covered by them, and not the customer!
and every business should work the same way, if they try and tell you otherwise then there trying to rip you off!

stuarty

Spot on but is it the same for if they replace the bearing and brushes in the original one that was on the car??

P

pulsarboby

ah! answer is no, unless they have either not fitted them correctly (which they wont admitt to) or the parts were faulty!
either way they can easily get out of it and say that something else is now wrong with the alternator, if they are that way inclined.

you would have been far better to have either bought a recon unit or a s/h one in the first place.
would have been a lot cheaper!

stuarty

Dindnt think so........ah well you got a spare one Bob??....... and some instructions for removal:lol:

P

pulsarboby

think i have one known good one left stu!

try them on monday first though, and tell them that you just paid out all that money and you are most dis-pleased about the fact that its lasted no time at all;-)
dont start getting narky with them or theyll tell you where to get off! just be business like, and if they still say there not interested then say you will take the matter further with either the aa or rac, unless they sort it out!

but il keep this one aside for you should you need it, untill wednesday!
hows that;-)

O

Odin

I just had my alternator rebuilt and it only cost me £37, And as Dooie says it takes not time to change an alternator really.

Rob

DannyGTI-R

I just had mine rebuilt by local autosparks cost me £30 cash, as for the garage that charged you for fitting and recondition it I think we can all say never use them again as they are rip off bastards.

stuarty

I had been told before that i did not take long to change an alternator but when the car went in it was going to be a one day job that turned into 2 into three and then into 4 days as they said it was a c^nt to get to.

Got my car MOT done there about 2 weeks ago and asked if they could check the power steering fluid cos i thought it was bit low........so they "topped it up".....so then about a week ago was checking all the fluids in the car and looked at the power steering reservoir to find it full to the lid:shock:

So its probably fair to say i wont be using them again......But trying to get a decent garage is getting harder and harder.......i would love to be able to change the alternator myself but i tend to get into it but never tooo confident about whats what and break something so that its got to go to a garage anyway:oops: :oops:

stuarty

Quick update.......

Garage is taking car back to repair the alternator under the warrenty from the builder and no labour costs either:-D :-D Didnt even have to push for it either........

Cheers Bob for holding the alternator for me........;-)

P

pulsarboby

no worries stu, glad there sorting it for you! as they rightly should for what they have charged you.