alternator question

NU773R

just a quick question about alternator's, what voltage should they be putting out?? i think i read somewhere it should be no more than 14v does that sound right or am i talking crap :lol:

if the alternator is over charging the battery would that cause the battery to cook and for the cells inside to break down??

i'm on my 3rd battery in the matter of afew months and was wondering if the alternator would cause the battery to fook up??

the 1st 2 batteries were both 2nd hand so i just thought they were duff so went to buy a new one and that one is now fooked too after being on the car for 3 weeks :doh:

J

jpward

NU773R said:
on idle mine is putting out 14.8 and going upto 16 under load
That voltage should boil the battery dry in a few weeks if you have not already check the fluid level i am sure it will be low, but its a regulator you need local auto spark should be able to sort you think last time I needed one on a car was £25 fitted so not a big part.

;-)

NU773R

cheaked the battery level this morning and its low :doh: , ive topped it up so hopefully it will be ok

think i'm just gonna get a new alternator, started the car up today and it sounded like the bearing are on the way out

thanks for the help and advise :thumbsup:

J

jpward

NU773R said:
cheaked the battery level this morning and its low :doh: , ive topped it up so hopefully it will be ok

think i'm just gonna get a new alternator, started the car up today and it sounded like the bearing are on the way out

thanks for the help and advise :thumbsup:

See thats the source of your problems right there you should be nice to your battery and not say mean things to it or it will suffer low morale!

:p