Alternator belt flew off

chrism

As stated: the belt flew off earlier today when I was out doing some spirited motorbike chasing. It sounded like loads os stones getting dragged up threw the pulleys. I thought it was the o2 plug that loosened from its holder but when I got back into the garage I could see the belt was gone and my ö2 wiring was totally chewed up.

I changed the belt when I got the car five years ago. I used the 4pk0825 so Ill be looking for a 6-rib this time. Five years isnt very long considering my car only gets used six months a year.

On the plus side: my R was flying :-o

wrc

5 year old belt, doesn't move for 6 months a year - easy to get perished in that time..

Could of just been the end of its life mate, at the end of the day nothing lasts forever - especially rubber.

pulsar_stu

Check the nut hasnt come off the bolt that holds the alternator to the block, also check the bottom pulley hasnt seperated from the vulcanised rubber.

chrism

I suppose if the belts sitting in the same spot for roughly half a year it´ll get misshaped.

Ill check those bits stu.

chrism

Checked today and it was the nut that holds the alternator in place, height-wise, that fell off. The tension then disappeared causing the belt to fly off. Problem sorted.