Alternater belt. wtf??????????

A

alfyboy

Hi guys, removed my air-con a couple of weeks back and i cant get a an alternater belt that fits.
The belt that nissan supplyed is too narrow by half.
The nissan dealer has emailed Nissan to try and get the right 1 but nissan say this is the only belt they list for air-con removed.
The crankshaft pulley and the alternater pulley are twice the width of the belt. Im getting really desperate for this so any help would be great,

cheers Alfy

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The non aircon belt is 4rib, the aircon belt is 6rib, so don't worry if it's thinner, as long as it goes round the pulleys and tensions up. You can get a 6rib belt from some motor factors but I can't remember the number off hand. The length you need is in the region of 830-835mm. Halfords 845e does fit, but it's just slightly on the long side and only just tensions up, the 825e is just to small to fit properly.

A

alfyboy

Fast Guy said:
The non aircon belt is 4rib, the aircon belt is 6rib, so don't worry if it's thinner, as long as it goes round the pulleys and tensions up.
cheers mate, never thought of that.
Ill try it and let you know.

J

jpward

Local motorfactors and get one for a Mureno is a van i think but is 6 vee and perfect lenght i had same as i think most people on here problem after removing air-con and now not a squeek even through deep floods!

A

alfyboy

dont know mate :oops:
someone called andrew sent me a PM with the belt for sale so i bought it ;-) :-D

J

jpward

stumo said:
What was the length?
From memory i got a 6 ply 830 belt remember belts do not need to be car spacific as sizing and type is all that can be different, take your belt to your motor factors and ask for a slightly shorter belt and make sure you ask for a 6 and not a 4ply its not rocket science ;-)

stumo

The only belt i could get to fit was 850 mm.

4 ply is ok for just the alternator.

stumo

the alternator belt on the UK GTiR's are only 4 ply, the original was 6 ply only cos of the aircon pump.

Mad

Ive used a 4 ply for over two years, no problems, and thats a shitty halfords one as well :D

Q

qddevelopments

orrr try a 1.4 almera one ;)

its the one i have on my micra

as i removed the air con (u see how much wait is in that mounting plate :O)

i can get you the exact length if you so wish

but simplest way is to get a piece of string

tie it round then take the length to the motor factors they can measure one and get the size

A

alfyboy

qddevelopments said:
orrr try a 1.4 almera one ;)

its the one i have on my micra

as i removed the air con (u see how much wait is in that mounting plate :O)

i can get you the exact length if you so wish

but simplest way is to get a piece of string

tie it round then take the length to the motor factors they can measure one and get the size
good to know mate ;-)
nice 1

6Miester

stumo said:
The only belt i could get to fit was 850 mm.

4 ply is ok for just the alternator.

I bought one from Nissan (non aircon) and i can't get it to fit? Tried the trick of tieing string round both pulleys and measuring it. It came out as about 850mm which should be ok?
Is it really difficult to fit?

6Miester

stumo said:
The UK belt is too short, you need a belt 850mm long.
Just realised i measured the pulleys with string...which has fallen into the deep grooves so its not very accurate! I then placed it round the outside of the belt... doh!

The belt Nissan supplied me is almost big enough, reckon its maybe 20mm too short?

6Miester

stumo said:
The UK belt is too short, you need a belt 850mm long.
Confirmed!

Just been to Halfrauds and looked at there range of alternator belts. The one they reccomend is the same length as the Nissan one-ie to short.
So i went for you're suggestion of 850mm (Code HB850e) it fits a treat and tightens up about half way up the adjustment arm.

Cheers Dude