Alas, my GTi-R has developed noisy roof syndrome :(

Foxdog

The cold weather has finally done what i was dreading, the roof has started to vibrate and 'ting' about around the back drivers passanger seat.

I thought i would be able to ignore it and just put up with it but it sounds like its getting worse... and if one more person comments "whats that noise?" when they are in my car i think im going to explode!!

Now i hear there is a thread with a good soloution to fixing this, could anyone possibly link it? ive had a bash at searching but i cant find it.

Alternatively what meathods are there to stopping this horrendous noise?

If i took it to an auto shop what would it entail to fix this, would it be expensive?

thanks,

stumo

remove headlining, use some silicone/no nailz/other sticky stuff between the roof and the supports, refit headlining.

vomitt

yeah its driving me nuts lately. took out the interior light and did the two i could get to from there, but now some further back have started doing it instead. also expanding foam will likely turn to dust over the years and have to be redone. some silicon stuff should be a more permanent job, gotta remove my healining and do the whole lot at some point soon.

whytie

Take 10 min not that many clips holding it in, take of sun visors, rear view mirror interior light and thats it really just kind of pops off

vomitt

ive just done the job today, not knowing what I was up against.

first of all I removed all the handles/rear view mirror/interior light and sun deflector things
then had to remove half the door seal to pop off the front plastic pillars
then half removed the rear pillars
also removed the rear plastic frame to allow the headlining to move some
then on the left and right there are 4 (2 on each side) black plastic clips to remove (mine wouldnt budge and one cracked and shot towards my face, cutting my nose so dont get them in your eyes!!)
After that you should be able to wiggle it free and slide it out through the boot, its a good idea to have someone to help you here.

Once youve done that, you can see all the bars and where they were previously stuck to the roof.

I used some silicone sealant on all the gaps apart from the middle bar (one with the interior light mounted to it)
For that I used some metal bonder in blobs where Nissan had put them when the car was made, to hold the bar in place, and used silicon inbetween.

Havent yet re-fitted the lining, waiting to make sure the job is done before re fitting but can see its gunna be a pain in the rear end.