air leak any ideas ?

soin

hi , i think the R s developed an air leak of some sort , being very unmechanically minded i ll try to explain why ive come to this conclusion .. the car idles un evenly 1200 rpm -1800rpm when hot or cold , i know this is a common R niggle , but im now wondering if its linked to the other symptoms .. when the car has been sat a few days and i turn the key to start the engine , there is a noise when the key gets to the position before starting (dash lights on fuel pump prime etc ) which sounds like someone blowing randomly through a penny whistle , only for a second , sounds quite funny actually , once on the move the car the car runs ok , when you come off the throttle another sound occurs , this time the sound is reminiscant of someone drawing air back into an accordian or bagpipes , sounds like the car is sucking air back in through somewhere , im also only putting out 279 @ 1.2 bar which i feel is pretty poor as most Rs seem to achieve these figures @ 1 .0 bar ... im sure i have a leak somewhere , any i deas where to start looking cheers

Dooie Pop Pop

the engine bay;-)

whats your fuel economy like?

i get a noise like that when i turn on the ignition its the fuel pressure regulator bypassing the fuel:D

Last edited:

soin

doh , theres me looking in the boot . ive had a fuel press reg fitted lately but would have noticed any new sounds linked with that , fuel consumptions shite but then the car gets driven pretty hard , i ll keep searching for split hoses i guess

Dooie Pop Pop

my fuel pressure regulator is new too and the noise started when i fitted that. get a mate to turn the ignition on and listen...i did;-)

i cant be arsed to go into the multitude of causes of high tickover but the lamba sensor can effect it. if your fuel economy is real crap id look at that and reearthing your maf.

soin

the leaks were caused by 3 out of 4 of the throttle body black rubber plugs /caps being split , put some diesel ones on temporarily , the low bhp could have had something to do with my ignition timing being retarded 5 deg .. must have been my nissan dealer , the car was in 3 months back for tpsensor , they ve obviousley tried to drop the idle by retarding the ignition .. its now been set to 18 deg adv much better ... those bastard plug /cap thingys are bloody £3.85 each cheers 4 advice guys

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I know, there about £4 each by the time the vat goes on because I ordered them all from Nissan at one time, it worked out to be about £30+ just for all the caps/plugs that go across the top of the throttle bodies.

I might have the answer to your problems (and anyone else who needs these cap/plugs) ;-)

Should have an answer by Monday, watch this space.

Steve