air flow meters

S

SUNNY-TJ

hi
i just put a post on about my r running 202 atw and 201 bhp, but when i was there the bloke who ran it said i needed a new air flow meter, he said they were about £500 and it was more worth my while getting a piggy back ecu that doesn't use an air flow, is this all true, and how much are both.
any ideas???:?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
You probably just need to clean the connectors on your current one. Or someone off here will be able to get one out to you for cheap or free..

What was the reason for new AFM..?

Rishi

gtirneil

New maf is quite expensive i believe second hand one is £40+.

Theres a couple of ecus that you dont have to run the MAF with but expect to pay big bucks for the ecu and mapping.

Some one will be along shortly who knows what there on about ;)

S

SUNNY-TJ

thanks,
the reason for needing a new afm is cos the tuner man told me that the ballsed up afm made the torque curve and boost curve look like poo rather than being nice an smooth.
cambridge_pulsar that would be great, how much do you want for it,
an mattygti-r what is a z32 afm?

mattygti-r

z32 air flow meters are from the nissan 300zx twin turbo

used as an upgrade on 200sxs, skylines, and gti-r to allow greater air flow

only required when your going for 320 and above really on the gti-r

you would require a remapable ECU to take this air flow meter

mattygti-r said:
z32 air flow meters are from the nissan 300zx twin turbo

used as an upgrade on 200sxs, skylines, and gti-r to allow greater air flow

you would require a remapable ECU to take this air flow meter
Or an S-AFC II.

Indeed, but we weren't discussing the relative merits of the units, just their suitability for running a non-standard MAFS which the S-AFC (or II) does perfectly well and for not a great deal of cash ;)

S

SUNNY-TJ

thanks guys
would i need a re-mapable ecu for the s-afc-(or II)
i have a serious cash flow prob at the mo so can't really afford a ecu or things like that

The S-AFC works by modifying the signal from the air-flow meter to the ECU to fool the system into thinking there is more or less airflow than there actually is. It will work with a std ECU.

The S-AFC has the additional benefit of a conversion option in one of the menus that allows the use of a non-standard MAFS.

See my post here on Nissan Modifiers for the conversion values.

The S-AFC can be had quite cheap now on fleabay. The only advantage with the S-AFC II is a knock sensor reading.

MarkTurbo

mattygti-r said:
The standard maf will do far more than 320 bhp :roll: Stop trying to line your pockets :der: