Air conditioner problem/question

vizi0n

Hey there boys n girls!

It's getting hot around here and I'm starting to feel the need for my aircon buuuut ... I have 2 problems:

1) when I press the A/C button while the blower is running, the button lights blue BUT the rpm doesn't drop, I don't feel anything different in the way the car runs
2) just normal air is blown via the vents, nothing cold at all...

What could cause this kind of problem?

I'm still hesitating as to wether I'm removing the aircon because it's faulty, or refilling it because it's empty ...

Would love to know! Thanks

Frank

geetee

check your fuses -

http://www.mummachummas.co.uk/gtir/FUSES.JPG

take out the aircon relay -
standing in front of the car you'll see the black box on the left of the bay - just pop off the lid - I think it's the one nearest you but look on the lid and it tells you

where the relay was (again looking from the front) you'll see four connectors - 2 right next to each other nearer the centre of the car and two further apart nearer the wing.....

with the the ignition on
use a bit of wire with spade connectors and short between the 2 next to each other and you should hear a clunk from down by the compressor.

Whatever you do don't mess with the other connectors they are hooked into the ECU so there's a good risk of frying something if you do.

If that all works out, more than likely you are low on gas so the ECU is preventing the aircon kicking in to save the pump self destructing.

Cheers
Graham

Last edited:

vizi0n

oh man I love you, that fuse listing rocks, mine is too much JDM .. :)

I will definately check this out tonight, because right now I hear no clutch kicking in ... unless its stuck on?

I'll have a look, thanks!

geetee

If it's low on gas the ECU doesn't send the signal to kick in the solenoid.

That fuse listing should be the right size when printed to fit nicely inside the fuse cover too :)

vizi0n

hey there geetee!

I've just checked the connectors under the relay and I can hear a click coming from the a/c so I guess it only needs a refill... but I didn't have to turn the ignition to ON because the +12 is straight from the battery itself.

man those blue sparks were scary at first :)

geetee

yeh it does arc a bit :)

and yep you're right it is a permanent live from the battery (via one of the fusible links).