air con compressor

S

stomski

had another bloke look at my r today, as the air con pumps making a noise - he said that it could be the compressor on its way out? and that if it was then he would need to take it out, send it off to get reconditioned and then bobs your uncle..

has any1 had any probs with theirs? or a similar problem on which they could shed a bit more light?

cheers!

ex-gtir

that will cost a bomb can i ask what year your car is as if it before 94 how is he going to regass it when he fitts it back on????? r12 gas is banned
im in kent and have a spare compressor that you can have as its no use to me
mike

S

stomski

its a 93 L - he told me £300 + labour all in. :shock:

would your compressor fit my r, if so how much would you let it go for mate? :?

ex-gtir

have a look at the label on the front of the compressor should say either r12 or r134 if its the latter no my compressor wont fit as its ar12 compressor
i can fit ?
where about are you in the home counties ??
its worth asking the guy doing the work how much its going to cost and weight up if aircon is worth it id say 80% have got rid of there air con as they never use it or it faulty and weights too much
mike

S

stomski

mike,

where exactly is the label for the compressor mate?

if it is the 1 you have, what would you want for doing the work?

i mentioned to the bloke to just take out the air con and he ummed and arghed about it?! would taking the air con out solve the problem or does the compressor need doing and thats it? sorry im not that glued up on the area of the r.

he also said that b4 long the belt(s) will start to fray and if they go then im in trouble.

im in bedfordshire, nr luton airport.

best thing is i work down the rd, so the car of the rd isnt a problem, just want it running mint.

E

Edd

I have a 93L air con compressor off my car you can have if you cant find one, although air con had no gas in when i bought car so not sure if it works

zia

its a 93 L - he told me £300 + labour all in.
a bit expensive. perhaps you should decide weather air con is worth keeping better of disconnecting, as i might be doing soon.

zia

S

stomski

gents,

can i just clarify something..... :shock:

does the compressor need to be done full stop or.... :?

can i get some1 to take out the air con and thats that? :cry:

edd, id be interested in the compressor if i cant get 1 elsewhere-thanks mate!

Keira

Easy enough to lose the aircon,

I took mine off, it was in perfectly good working order, did it to spite the missus, it was the one thing on the car she liked :twisted:

S

stomski

so can i just take the air con out and thats that or does the compressor need changing either way?

sorry to go on lads, but want it fixed for the least amount of doe and to be honest i dont mind taking the air con out, prefer having the windows down.

S

stomski

i take it thats alot cheaper and i wouldnt need a new compressor? :cry:

so...

take out the air con, be done with that :D

no need for compressor :?

=cheaper!

job done or not so simple??? :?

annoying as the b!oody rattle is annoying me and the bloke at the garage told me that in his opinion i shouldnt be driving it as the belt might fray.

should i leave it locked in the garage 2moro and walk to work or can i drive it, but take it nice and steady?

J

jasegould

If you want it done mega cheap just fit a shorter belt and leave all the aircon gear on there :wink: :?:

jonee

air con

hi,take it all off the car compressor,mounting plate and pipes.then weigh it all its a lot of metal.when you fit the shorter belt make sure its a 3 ribbed belt a not the standard 5 ribbed,this meens it will miss the alternator pivot/retaining bolt.good luck :)

skiddusmarkus

Cheapest and easiest way to fix this is as above-fit a shorter belt.It's an 845mm item and will run from the crank pulley to the alternator and miss out the aircon.You'll probably have to get a 4 rib belt instead of 6 as it's more common.They cost about a fiver.
Then when you have more money or are having something else done on the engine,you can either have the pump fixed/replaced or removed.

S

stomski

is anyone willing to carryout this work for me?

ive been in contact with mike and hes a bit far from me to do the work, is there any1 localish to the luton area who would mind doing the work for a small fee and eating as many bacon sarnies at mine as possible.

just want the belts changed by passing the air con, unless you want to remove the air con at the same time.

any1 fancy having a go?

*thanks to mike for all the info*