AFM positioning

gtirx2

Just looking about and saw this thread www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39133 where the afm is positioned just before the intake manifold in the intercooler pipe?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of mounting it there would the heat not afect the afm?Also the dump valve is mounted just before it so when the dump valve opens would this not lean it out?Or is it just mapped differently to compensate for the afm position?

boucherie

hi the position you are talking about is called a blow through setup, apparently the sr20 boys swear by it but ive tried it with a z32 and i kept blowing out the cork gaskets and also it wasnt running too well in that setup but that could have been due to my wiring!!!

i have tried it with the stock maf and the car will run so it technicaly will work. benefits are that if you blow a hose you can still drive the car home

gtirx2

Interesting when you say sr20 boys you mean the american sr20 forum?
i wonder why they like this set up so much?And the pic in the link was from japan i think so it must be pretty popular out there aswell.
I wonder why this set up has not taken off over here?

T

tro||

those pics are quite old and twatty as usual is full of crap by pretending they're not, the one on a blow thru also has a gt30 and theres bits of info about its gearset and stuff on the page on its.

a simple google search finds plenty of crap like that