Advise needed

Pete Watson

I am a bit concerned withan new issue on the car, for some reason when i drive the car the coolant catch tank keeps filling up, it seems to have started since last summer when i got caught up in traffic, the car never over heated but the coolant came out the over flow pipe on the catch tank, just before this i had the car remapped for 1.8bar, not sure if this has anything to do with it. The car never overheats, the fan cuts in and the temp on the Power FC hand commander reads normal, i have tried a sniffer on the overflow tank when bubbles start appearing but it shows no fault, the car drives and runs smooth, i have no signs of a head gasket issue. I have an alloy rad fitted which sits lower than the original one, this means the top hose is higher than the Rad inlet, this is a poor setup i know but it has never been a problem before. I have checked and changed the rad cap but this made no difference. I was wondering with the extra power and heat that goes with it do i need to modify the cooling system, i was thinking about adding a header tank into the system, tap into the top and bottom rad hoses. Has anyone else had this problem or know of someone that can help with the issue.

Rgs Pete

nitrosgti-r

i recon its a blockage? Flush it out and refill with de iron water and water wetter, not coolant. Thinner = less friction = more power. Look up water wetter on ebay or demon tweeks.

gtirx2

I had the same thing twice when my headgasket was leaking.Would not over heat and would run fine,it would just push more water than normal into the overflow bottle and sometimes make a gurgling sound from the rad pipes when turned off.
Mine did show up on a sniffer test but i was doing the test from the rad cap and not the over flow bottle.
Try the sniffer from where the rad cap is and see what comes up.

GTIR-LOZ

this may be a vey simple problem are you filling up the water by pouring the water into the expansion tank up to the marked level or are you putting it in the radiator?

When you correct the level just top up the water in the radiator when that level is at its max that is the maxuimum for the car the expansion tank is only there for when the coolant expands and retracts due to heat if you set the level by topping the expansion tank to the marked level it will overflow when you drive or stop the car

hope this helps

Pete Watson

I have tried on the rad as well, nothing showed up.

I have a different Rad on my car, Spec R alloy version, it sits lower than the original so the top hose sits higher than the rad, i do feel this is some of the problem and to be honest i hope that is all it is. What i can't get my head round is why it pushes the coolant out but won't draw it back in again. Tonight i checked the level, almost at the overflow on the bottle, when i took the cap off the rad i had a big rush of air 'vacuum',
i have tried different caps on the rad but always have the same results.

GTIR-LOZ

if there is no air in the system then the hose placement wont matter have you just fitted this rad or has it been on there for a while i would empty the overflow bottle correct the level in the rad make sure there is no air in it i.e open the bleed screw by the thermostat and retest if it still pushes all the water out of the rad then either you have a blocked rad or thermostat or there is combustion gas leaking into your coolant

P

pulsarboby

simple! if its over pressurising then it is a head leak somewhere. if after say 5 minutes from startup the pipes are rock hard and theres big pressure in the system then it must be caused by cylinder pressurising cooling system.

best way to check is by pressurising cylinders with airline one by one and see if that blows bubbles out of the radiator with cap off! my guess is that it will