advice needed please

P

pulsarboby

im in the process of buying a pulsar 1.8gti auto

now i have in my vast array of parts an uprated engine that should be well capable of around 450bhp.
i was thinking of dropping the lump from the gti and fitting the gtir uprated engine with a 3071 bolted onto it, amongst a few other lairy mods.
the autobox should be better than a manual fwd as it should allow you to get the power down on the ground more sufficiently, thats my guess anyway:lol:

i basically wanted to know if anyone has ever done this and whats involved in the changeover?
the main probs i can see is:

1) what sort of power can the autobox and torque convertor handle?
2) will the 1.8 flexiplate / fly bolt onto the sr20det engine, along with the box?
3) is the kickdown on these cars fly by wire or cable operated?

appreciate any advice given, thanks!

P

pulsarboby

:lol: :lol: yep your right there marky.

but it also has advantages too like less weight and less transmission loss=more power at wheels when rolling! less chance of breakages through torque loading, and generally more fun as a road car.

thinking of doing this for the other half as she wants a pulsar to whip around in, but she does like launching away from the lights etc, and all i can see with a gtir is broken gearboxes etc etc, where as with an auto it should get away from lights better than a manual high powered fwd, and the kick down on such a light car should really be something else.

the car would also have a high resale value as it will be fairly unique, and a lot of people out there can only drive autos, making it worth a fair amount of wedge!

Mr GTiR

Don't do it mate, or at least give her a stock engine :lol:

A fwd Pulsar with a 3071R will almost be like a drag car :thumbsup:

Keira

i've got pics of an auto box on a gtir engine somewhere. Theres a 4wd nissan of somesort that had an autobox, the pics of the set up i have has had some custom work done to the box, the guy never ran on it.

the biggest problem would be the torque convertor and strength of the gears i'd imagine as they were never designed to take any sort of power

P

pulsarboby

Keira said:
i've got pics of an auto box on a gtir engine somewhere. Theres a 4wd nissan of somesort that had an autobox, the pics of the set up i have has had some custom work done to the box, the guy never ran on it.

the biggest problem would be the torque convertor and strength of the gears i'd imagine as they were never designed to take any sort of power
yeah its the forward clutch band that could be a major prob, thats assuming the torque convertor doesnt explode into bits lol.

dont suppose you can find the link to that car can you?
the other alternative is to use an autobox from a primera 2.0 thats ready made for the 20det block, but in all honesty i dont know but the 1.8 box could be exactly the same anyway:?

andy......thats the idea of it:p but dont know how long it will last, and i know jack sh1t about auto boxes

P

pulsarboby

PaulB said:
you need advice :eek:

never thought id see the day !

:-D yep i gotta say that im truly stumped with this, ive even contacted an autobox engineer and they could give me no advice as to what the torque converter and bands could handle:sad: and i thought that someone out there must have done this before! and tell me what probs they encountered on the way.

P

pulsarboby

gtirx2 said:

thanks, dont know if his still an ebay user but i will try and contact him to see how the convertor was strenghened and if anything else in the box needed strenghening also.

really havent got a clue who would carry out the work to the box though over here.
its hard to find anyone to repair standard auto boxes thats any good, let alone uprate one!

red reading

try tci transmissions in the states,my dad used to buy manual valve body converted gm th400 tranny's from them,they are quite well known in the yank drag seen,it's possible they would be able to help

P

pulsarboby

thanks, will give them a try!
im amazed that not even the nissan dealers can tell you how much torque the converter will take, there just seems to be no info atall.
i may just buy it and fit the lump onto the standard autobox and run an independant cooler for the fluid and see how long it lasts lol

its not like the boxes are gonna be hard to get hold of, and havent got to drop the whole engine to change the things, so im not losing a great deal if it does blow up.

red reading

you will soon know if the tranny is struggling as it will boil the oil first,thats what the old big block chevy the old chap had used to do,8litre 600Lbft torque at 3500rpm then it blew the gears thru the bottom of the box, then try'd various u.k sourced 'race spec' boxes which all broke,then got the tci box and never had a problem

P

pulsarboby

thats what worries me is the heat factor with the fluid, unless i design some sort of cooler with a kenlowe fan attached to it thats running permenant!

the thing is, is that with your dads motor hes putting out 600lbft torque through the rear wheels on a heavy car and no doubt huge fat wheels, which will put huge amounts of stress on that box with the big block lump.
whereas this will be fwd and only putting out an estimated 370lbft torque max in a fairly light vehicle, so it may work with the proper cooling for the fluid, think its just one of them things that you have to suck it and see lol
will soon find out if it all goes t1ts up:lol:

Braveheart

pulsarboby said:
think its just one of them things that you have to suck it and see lol
will soon find out if it all goes t1ts up:lol:
Sorry I can't add tecnical feedback to your thread Bobby but if you have the time and money, it looks like a very interesting venture.:)
Pity the poor buggers that challenge "handbags at dawn" at the lights.;-)
The hardest part I think will be finding the time to orchestrate this build...:shock:

P

pulsarboby

Braveheart said:
Sorry I can't add tecnical feedback to your thread Bobby but if you have the time and money, it looks like a very interesting venture.:)
Pity the poor buggers that challenge "handbags at dawn" at the lights.;-)
The hardest part I think will be finding the time to orchestrate this build...:shock:
well i already have the engine, just needs the 3071 bolted on, change the wiring loom from ecu, fit boost gauge and get standard ecu mapped.
i will have to make some alterations to the inlet manifold, and obviously the exhaust.
but other than that i cant see any real problems other than if the box will take that sort of power.

or as andy said i could leave the roller bearing unit thats already fitted to engine and just fit the unichip ecu from other car, and see how the box copes with that first, then up the power if all is fine.
will just leave the car standard on outside, stealth like lol

so its not gonna cost a great deal to do, and im trying to get a deal on the car at the moment, its only done a genuine 12,000 from new:shock:
if all goes ahead it should be a very quick little pulsar, im sure she'll love it8)