Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

Ok firstly sorry this is in the wrong section, I will eventually get round to paying my membership, I promise...

Just wondered if one of these would be of any benefit to a mildly tuned R:
1 bar, frount mount, fuel pump blah blah blah or if it would just make it even more uneconomical...

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
No you don't need one...

You really only need one when you need to up the pressure over 3bar... And you only need to do that if your injectors are maxing out... In which case you should be using larger injectors...

The other season for using an uprated one is if you are using more than one fuel pump... Holding 3bar with say twin fuel pumps would be best done using an uprated FPR...

Rishi

Rishi

Will leave it here... So then when we tell people to do a Search i know that somewhere there is an answer...

Rishi

A

AJ4

RishiGTiR said:
you only need to do that if your injectors are maxing out... In which case you should be using larger injectors...
:oops: Guilty as charged :D. I haven't decided on injectors yet so I'm using a FPR to over run the standard ones into 550's :oops:

Rishi

AJ4 said:
RishiGTiR said:
you only need to do that if your injectors are maxing out... In which case you should be using larger injectors...
:oops: Guilty as charged :D. I haven't decided on injectors yet so I'm using a FPR to over run the standard ones into 550's :oops:

And i would have expected better from you... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rishi

O

Odin

RishiGTiR said:
And i would have expected better from you... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rishi
I'm not :roll: after all he is a tight fisted sweaty sock :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

he proberly found the fuel reg down the scrappy :roll: .

rob

A

AJ4

hey, nothing wrong with what I'm doing :roll: Its ok to over run them a little bit :D:D:D

Handy tip for the day - remember to tighten up the lock nut on the adjuster, or it can loosen off slowly and you end up with black plugs, a misfire and 5 mpg.

Not that its ever happened to me of course, just thought I'd mention it :oops:

Rishi

AJ4 said:
hey, nothing wrong with what I'm doing :roll: Its ok to over run them a little bit :D:D:D

Handy tip for the day - remember to tighten up the lock nut on the adjuster, or it can loosen off slowly and you end up with black plugs, a misfire and 5 mpg.

Not that its ever happened to me of course, just thought I'd mention it :oops:

And i thought you were some sort of Rocket Scientist... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rishi

A

AJ4

lol, I was actually fiddling with it in work and only had a set of pliers on me, so I thought I'd leave it till I got home. Naturally I forgot and after about a week it didn't want to start... :roll: I think it was up to about 4 bar or something :D:D:D

ex-gtir

if you losen the reg off pressure is lower isnt it you increase spring tension to raise pressure so it more likely to run lean isnt it

Rishi

ex-gtir said:
if you losen the reg off pressure is lower isnt it you increase spring tension to raise pressure so it more likely to run lean isnt it
See i thought it was the other way around...

Pump works at 80psi(5.5bar)... The regulator holds the presure at 3bar... Losening the Reg would allow for a greater flow at an increased pressure...

Rishi

A

AJ4

It must depend on your FPR and how the spring is controlled. Mines is definately full pressure = screw out, no pressure = screw in. the proof was when the screw vibrated loose and my AFR went down to about 1:1 :D

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I understand the fuel pressure regs are "bad" arguements as they put extra strain on your fuel supply system etc. However, on deisels and I think petrol, many car manufacturers are moving to higher pressure fuel rails to improve the atomisation of the fuel improving economy and performance.

Reliability aside as something will break on these car and assuming a proper mapping, wouldn't a 20% hike in FP give a better burn mixture than an extra 20% injector size?

Please think about it before flaming me as I though it goes against current tuning practice, I'm only thinking upto 3.6Bar.

A

AJ4

in theory yes, because the particle droplets are smaller and mix easier. Thats why its better to use the smallest injectors you can get away with. I think its called particle homologisationism or some sh1t like that :D:D

ex-gtir

RishiGTiR said:
ex-gtir said:
See i thought it was the other way around...

Pump works at 80psi(5.5bar)... The regulator holds the presure at 3bar... Losening the Reg would allow for a greater flow at an increased pressure...

Rishi
the reg stops fuel getting back to tank so the more mechanical pressure on the spring mean take more fuel pressure to overcome it and get back to tank so by losening it you will get nofuel pressure as the pump will just flow fuel straight back to tank

A

AJ4

not sure how mine works them, because its exactly opposite to that ( although I agree with what your saying, thats how it should work ). Mine is a strange unbranded one, so its possible the spring / bolt setup is somehow different.. weird.. but there you go :D

Also, it doesn't show any pressure when the engine is switched off, it goes to 0 bar which is unusual.

O

Odin

My pressure goes up when I do it up and down when I undo it :wink: .

rob