actuator hose

A

Anonymous

there is a hose coming off my actuator and its not going anywhere its got a clip on it so it looks like it should be on something but i dont know where! any help would be appreciated

thanks
john

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
:shock: That'll be the reason your head gasket's gone. Just hope it's only the gasket and not the internals.
With this pipe unconnected, you've been running unlimited boost as the wastegate actuator has no control over it.

It should go from the actuator into a tee piece, 1line goes to the boost solenoid, the other line goes under the intercooler to a metal pipe, then from the metal pipe to the plenum chamber.

A

Anonymous

It's also one of the biggest causes of turbo failure...

A

Anonymous

buzza said:
there is a hose coming off my actuator and its not going anywhere its got a clip on it so it looks like it should be on something but i dont know where! any help would be appreciated

thanks
john
This btw is a popular way for unscrupulous sellers to make their car go harder than it really does. Usually they disconnect the hose under the intercooler though so it's not so obvious...

A

Anonymous

does any body have any pics on where these should go as im not mechanically minded as you can probaly tell!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member

Mine has a dawes device fitted, so there's no t piece and a line to the boost solenoid ( the silver thingy just up and to the right of the bottom green circle)

A

Anonymous

I have a motor sitting in the garage (pulled it out of a frontcut last wk) so here you go, picture of the T-Piece and Solenoid (top right corner):

otter

Thanks lads. Thats been a great help to me aswell.
My engine has had a rebuild.
Trouble is that 1 bloke took the engine out. Then left.
So another guy had to put it all back together not really knowing where anything went :x

Its boosting right up properly but it just doesnt want to pull at all. The revs increase very little.

I think that the actuator pipes are either loose or connected up wrong.

Having said that when i squeezed an intercooler pipe yesterday it suddenly took off. But only for 10 secs!

So im now thinking its a intercooler hose leaking.(??) :?

A

Anonymous

get some dish washing liquid, mix it with water, but a fairly thick mixture. use a brush and put it all over your intake piping. You *should* see air bubbles if there's any leaks.
Obviously, check your actuator hoses as per above and make sure they don't have any leaks - but usually, if there's a problem there you're overboosting, not underboosting. You could try disconnecting it, if that fixes your problem you might have a faulty solenoid (does that happen, never seen it??)

Make sure your timing is right, you can get a big dead spot if it's wrong.
Usually, if you don't have enough fuel or it's not firing properly you get an abrupt kinda cut out, so that's probably not it.
It could also be a faulty wastegate actuator, but that is usually only apparent high up top and looks like a boost drop off, so that's prob not it either.
Any kind of exhaust side gasket leak isn't going to cause that much of a power issue, plus you'd be able to hear and smell it in the engine bay, so that's probably not it either.

The thing is, if you've just put your motor in a variety of vacuum hoses, either missing or connected the wrong way can cause the problem you're describing, so it's a matter of trouble shooting it, and having a close look at GTi-Rs that actually work. You might also find this useful:
http://www.gtiroz.net/workshop/

A

Anonymous

thanks alot for that guys, but im still a little stuck, im only going of memory bcos my car is in the garage, is there two hoses meant to be coming of the boost solenoid! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
im not the brightest bulb in the pack :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

A

Anonymous

Yes, the solenoid is simply a valve.
You have air pressure coming from the plenum, which pushes through the T-Piece into the actuator (forcing it open and limiting boost) and into the solenoid.
The solenoid relieves some of the pressure on the actuator, keeping it shut longer (and increasing boost). It is controlled by the ECU, and the ECU will close the solenoid to reduce boost, or open it up to increase boost.

The hose that comes from the T-piece goes on the left side of the solenoid (where it is on my picture) and another hose runs from the solenoid to the intake, you know the rubber pipe going from the turbo compressor intake side to the airfilter, it has a little plastic barb on it.

T

Toady

yeah, i think the one on babyzilla's pic goes to the left hand pipe on the boost solenoid, and the pipe on the right of the bs goes to the intake pipe.