Actuator fallen off

E

Edd

Right was driving along with my mate, heard a bit of a rattling sound and some metal fall off the car :roll: :roll:

soon forgot and booted it down the road :lol: 8)

0 boost :shock: :wink: :oops:

after checking everything :evil: couldn't find what was up until i checked the pipe on the actuator and wobbled it and saw the acutator wobble :x

Both the bolts have come out that hold the acuator on and i'm gettin no boost at all :(

My mate's is in the garage having new turbo gaskets so went and had a look at his and the bloke reckons the whole lot might have to come off :shock:

any ideas if they can be done in situ?

P

paulrandy

No chance of doing it without pulling it all off im afraid, theyre a right a*se to get to.

E

Edd

oh f*ck :evil: :x :x

so would just the bolts coming off cause it to not boost?

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

yes mate because it wont actually be doing anything as theres nothing to hold the pressure if u know what i mean :wink:

sypher

i pressume your talking about the wastegate actuator,, if its not there or loose it'll be allowing exhaust gas straight through the wastegate poppet valve and not allowing spool up. if the rubber pipe just fell off the wastegate it would run un regulated ie; making as much boost as it possible can to its limitations ..DANGEROUS..

E

Edd

trust me the boost guage doesnt go above 0 now :wink:

so yes it needs bolting back on :x

P

paulrandy

Thinking about it it should still boost up ok. Here we go, the end of the actuator rod is hooked on the wastegate thingy, the body of the actuator is bolted to the bracket, the actuator is spring loaded which would pull the body towards the wastegate and hold it against the bracket even if the bolts have dropped out.
Thats all depending on whether the little clip has fallen off the wastegate and whether the rod has come off.

E

Edd

well thing is i was thinking it should still boost aswell, so i'm wondering if the clips come off and the rod has fallen off :cry:

MarkTurbo

Mine was a piece of piss to get to :D

My turbo isn't on the car at the moment though :lol: :lol: :lol:

The 2 bolts that hold the actuator to the turbo couldnt be in a more awkward place, but i dont expect you wanted to hear that at the moment :roll:

geetee

If the actuator body has come loose rather than the little clip coming off then you would still get no boost.

As the boost rises - the pressure on the wastegate would open it and this would move the whole actuator instead of it being held by the spring pressure in the actuator.

I bet if you absolutely floor it in a low gear you'll get about 5 psi.

I have just had the problem that the little clip holding the rod to the valve had flitted off.

Totally annoying that I've had to spend so much on gaskets, manifold studs and time stripping the turbo out to replace a circlip that I got 20 of for free from my motor factors.

Pointless getting annoyed about it though I guess :evil:

What pissed me off more whas that I stripped it down to the point that the only thing holding the exhaust manifold on was that one beeatch obscured manifold nut. I had nothing to get on it so decided to try to get a clip on in situ.

You can get ur hands aound there enough to get the rod back on the wastegate valve. Then I used insulting tape to hold the replacement clip to the end of a long screwdriver and managed to get it on.

Only trouble was - I had disturbed all the gaskets and didn't think they would seal again. And I wasn't convinced about the size of the clip and that it wouldn't flit off again. So I now have the tubby off anyway (much swearing later).

On another note, I notice that if the actuator rod is not attached to the valve and u apply pressure to the actuator with a pump the rod moves out as it should but also away from the wastegate valve. So at about 1 bar pressure the rod is a good half inch away from the valve.

I don't know if this is normal or if I ought to replace the actuator - as it seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the little circlip.

eeek.. HIJACK ALERT.. sorry :?

Cheers
GeeTee 8)