absolute radiators 53 mm alloy rad

soin

hi , im looking at getting absolute radiators twin core 53 mm rad with slimline fans , anyone running this rad ? i need to know before ordering that it will fit ..
ive still got my air con , and have a 3071 .. my tuner seems to think it ll fit with the slimline fans .. i just wanna make sure before i buy .. would like to keep the air con if poss .. cheers

Braveheart

I have a 53mm koyo rad fitted.
It was a direct fit onto the OE rad mounts but I do not have aircon and could only fit one OE fan back on due to lack of space. The cooling properties are amazing. I've had two track days with it and the temp stays down. I use to loose a lot of water out the expansion bottle with the OE rad but not a drop now.

O

Odin

tenfoloten said:

Neither of those links are for the correct radiator for the gtir :doh: , You need a rad for a 91-99 sentra those rads have the top hose inlet in the wrong place.

Just buy the one listed for the gtir on the absolute radiator web sight ;-) .

Rob

O

Odin

tenfoloten said:
Even so I wouldn't buy one from anywhere other than Absolute radiators ;-) , Neither of your links state the correct 91-99 sentra fitment :doh: .

I was the first person to find the koyo rad for a pulsar, I was the person that contacted Vince at Absolute Radiators who then did the research to try and match up the Koyo rad for me.

When dealing with them you know you will get your rad when when they say you will, And at a good price,

Rob

soin

im gonna call in the morning and order one , if the air con has to go , it ll go .. cheers for the info guys and braveheart cheers for the time taken to post pics mate , very much appreciated

antgtir

Has anyone running the Koyo rad 53mm thick core or the OE replacement which is supposedly twice as thick had any issues with over cooling the engine on say normal road use and with an oil cooler fitted?

The alloy rad would be a great upgrade for the track sessions with oil cooler but on normal every day use i.e. on the road im not sure if it would be over kill.

Was thinking of maybe just getting the all metal brass and copper type so that coupled with the oil cooler would be ok for both types of useage, anyone any comments or experience?

Cheers,

Ant.

O

Odin

antgtir said:
Has anyone running the Koyo rad 53mm thick core or the OE replacement which is supposedly twice as thick had any issues with over cooling the engine on say normal road use and with an oil cooler fitted?

Ant.

I think you'd be better off with the thinner copper rad myself, The koyo rad is nearly 3 times thinker not 2, It's the copper rad that is the one thats twice as thick.

I have the Koyo and a 19 row oil cooler and yes it probably does stay to cool as the needle never really moves off the bottom mark unless I get stuck in traffic for long periods :shock:, My fans weren't working and I didn't notice for over 6 months :shock: .

Hopefully with the new set up blocking more of the radiator off it will run a tad warmer ;-) .

Rob

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
antgtir said:
Was thinking of maybe just getting the all metal brass and copper type so that coupled with the oil cooler would be ok for both types of useage, anyone any comments or experience?
Agreed, is there much of an advantage of going for the all aluminium rad than over a metal/copper rad? Would there be a point/max rating in power (bhp) that the metal/copper would be unsuitable track or motorsport and the all aluminium would be favourable

*rob's quick on them keys* ;-)

Last edited:

Trip

the problem I personally found with Absolute radiators is they do not accept paypal unless you have a verified address. paypal do not "support" my country to get addresses verified.

Absolute radiators do however accept bank transfer but the bank here charges too much just to make a transaction.

Its a pity cause i had more then just the radiator in my shopping cart to purchase from them.

O

Odin

The temps where also very good on the one and only track day I've done in it since I fitted the rad.

I think the big Koyo rad does a great job and even saved my engine from melting the time I noticed the fans not working, It was quite strange really because I was stuck in a long que and the temps keep going up and up until they reached a point where it just seemed to be able hold temp :? , I'm not sure if this was just down to the rad or a combination of the big rad and 19 row oil cooler working together.

Rob

O

Odin

Trip said:
the problem I personally found with Absolute radiators is they do not accept paypal unless you have a verified address. paypal do not "support" my country to get addresses verified.

Get verified like me then ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

soin

im going to be running 400 -450 bhp , no track use planned , at present the tuner that has the car has set me up with a setrab 9 row oil cooler top mount . and i still have the oe rad .. .. however ive said i think the oil cooler is too small for the power output and that im going to source the alloy rad , this info is based on searching on here to see what people are generally using .. people with 350 upwards seem to be using 16 /19 row oil coolers .. and the rad was just to be sure i had the best available .. (i hate overheating an engine )

is the 53 mm overkill for fast road use ? whats the most suitable combo for the power output

oil cool / row ? & rad size and type ?

Braveheart

I very rarely use my car on the road... except to and from track meets and too get work done on it. Eventually it will get trailered to and from.
The 53mm Alloy rad does a fantastic job of keeping temps down.
Even without a second oil cooler the car ran normal temps for both oil and water when being driven round the track as the cooler water cooled the OE oil cooler as well. I now have a 16 row oil cooler to fit though.
400-450 is almost twice the standard power output and if you are going to use that power I would fit the alloy rad. You can always blank part of the rad off if you find the temp too low.

O

Odin

Braveheart said:
400-450 is almost twice the standard power output and if you are going to use that power I would fit the alloy rad. You can always blank part of the rad off if you find the temp too low.

I don't totally agree about the rad size with Braveheart, I would how ever get rid of that small top mounted cooler, And replace it with a bigger front mounted cooler.

I was running just about 400 bhp with the big Koyo rad for over 2 years, And I think that maybe the alloy rad was over kill for a road only car, The slightly smaller copper one will work fine and will leave you a little more room for fans and turbo.

Rob