A couple of little problems...

LeeSmith

Right, I have a few problems with the R.

Since getting the Car back from the garage having a new gearbox & clutch fitted it's idle has raised to 1750 :shock: then sometimes the idle wil bounce around like i was tapping the throttle, so it will drop to 1200, then bounce to 1700 odd again... keeps doing it. Only once in a week has it dropped to 1000rpm, but after puling off and stopping again it shot straight back up to 1000.

Fair enough i know the R has a little idle problem like it would start up, go to 1300ish then die down to 900-1000rpm but this is a little different.

Also I get a clunk from the front end when i turn the wheel at low speed. For example turning left at a junction, so stop at end of road pull off slowly, turn wheel left then loud CLUNK, that's the end of it, happens almost every time.

Can anyone help with either? Cheers...

JIMMYBACK

:shock: im having the same problems....if u find a solution let me know bud its doing my head in :shock:

LeeSmith

lol will do mate!

It's bloody embarassing sitting at lights and the car starts revving!! especially when the person looks in their rear view mirror at you wondering what your doing!!!

I'll have a look tonight & see if i can do anything

antgtir

I got told yesterday by gtirpulsar and pete that there is a air flow / idle control screw at the back of the throttle bodies that sometimes gets gunked up and can hold the cars revs higher than it should, once this is cleaned and replaced it should drop and idle where it should.

Im not sure on the exact position as you cant really see it with the throttle bodies in place, supposedly its accessable with the throttle bodies on tho :?

Id pm either pete or gtirpulsar for more info on this subject.

Has the clunking noise only started since you had the box put in?? Is it just turning a corner that it makes this sound or eveytime you pull away i.e. engine mount??

Id quickly check your anti roll bar bushes too just to be on the safe side, they may have worn, doubt it but you never know.

Hope this kindof helps lol, Ant.

kyepan

check all your earths in the engine bay too. that takes 10 mins to clean them rough to bare metal and reattach. you may see an immedaite improvement in the engine running.

LeeSmith

Ant & Kypan cheers 8)

I'm going to definatly going to check the Earths, I noticed they were looking rather Dull last night.

Kypan, Time to break out the manual i think & hunt for that screw & give it a good old clean = Thanks for your help guys!!

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Check here...

Its pretty much the same probs you are having...

I've posted some things to check...

As for your clunking that sounds like a drive shaft or CV joint... They may not have fitted your drive shafts back in properly after the gbox and clutch change..

Rishi

antgtir

If you can take it back to the garage, it shouldn't be doing that if they've done a good job (unless it was doing this before you took it in lol).

Im getting more and more convinced that doing the job yourself is the best option :roll:

Thats the prob with taking things like drive shafts out and gearbox's etc you start disturbing bearings and other integral parts, at least if you do it yourself you have the opportunity to change things if they look suspect.

Ant.