75 psi on #3

djdoc360

does it mean a bad piston ring, piston, or cylinder wall? the car runs fine except that it smokes on gear changes and the boost gauge reads -300 at idle. sigh...:sad:

youngsyp

It could be worn rings, a valve that doesn't close properly etc... Have you compression checked the cylinder hot and cold ? That might narrow down the problem ?!

P

pulsarboby

check the plug!!! if its oiled up then its engine out time again! either way its engine out time, put a teaspoon of engine oil down the plug hole and compression test it again straight away, if the reading goes up then you have damaged rings and or bores im afraid to say buddy;-)

join the 75 on 3 club mate, the same as mine:doh:

simpulsar

whats the problem with cylinder 3 then guys cos ive just blown mine to. is it a common problem. done a compression test and the needle hardly moved 1 2 and 4 are all about 160psi

P

pulsarboby

its the cylinder under most load, it also gets slightly hotter than the other 3 boogers

!
i may start to run a 3 cylinder r with 800bhp soon, bet no ones tried that lol

neil240z

sounds like a cracked piston land, common fault when running too much boost, happened to my car. unfortunately its rebuild time! :(

neil240z

shouldnt happen on stock boost. still confident in my diagnosis though, if you removed the head it would be possible to do it in-situ, remove the sump and undo the con rod bolts and pop piston 3 through the top, the ring lands will have cracked and broken in to several pieces, you will prob be able to get a piston and rings in good condition for next to nothing of here but its always advisable to do all 4.

best of luck.

Neil

djdoc360

yeah..... my engine is a junkyard engine after all. the okinawan guy that own the car before me did japanenes auto cross it. i only use it for touge. speaking of pistons there are alot of s14 in junkyards were i live. if the piston is cracked i could snage one. if the block is bad, i know a guy that junking his gtir so ill get the bottom end from him.