4500 rpm in 3rd....

LeeSmith

Right, i was going down the motorway the other day, and i was in 3rd gear...

i accelerated to 4500RPM and the car seemed to hit some sort of restrictor..... the car was warmed up, oil temp at 90 etc....

What would be the first thing you check?

Bearing in mind I have never changed the HT leads on the car, spark plugs were changed within the last 8 months & gapped correctly 4 the boost at 1.0 bar.....

I got HKS Blow off valve, Evo K&N induction, MINES ECU, uprated clutch, Magnex exhaust, Boost set to 1.0Bar via Bleed Valve (boost didn't spike on the gauge), uprated Fuel pump

A

Az

Had similar with mine once warmed up.

Could be so many things though. Mine turned out to be fuel pump :? :)

Davey

What happened when it hit the limiter, did the engine die totally for a few seconds :?:
Several people have had the same problem (me included), but its usually in 4th/5th :?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If it does it every time, check your boost hoses are OK.

Davey said:
What happened when it hit the limiter, did the engine die totally for a few seconds :?:
Several people have had the same problem (me included), but its usually in 4th/5th :?
The speed limiter (I assume) yes, it did for abit but at a much higher speed than 4500in 3rd would give. The rev limiter, it just stutters and lets you know about it. :wink:

mattygti-r

mine ws like that , turned out some one had robbed the guage on import and left the boost hose tucked into the footwell, hence got a leak :shock:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
check hoses are all tight on. What happens is when the boost builds up all the hoses bulge a little and if one is loose this could cause a slight leek which wont be apparent at lower revs/boost.

LeeSmith

Davey said:
no it stuttered a bit as if u were ragging a saxo's nuts off in 1st........as soon as it did the 3rd or 4th stutter i changed to 5th...

LeeSmith

Fast Guy said:
If it does it every time, check your boost hoses are OK.

The speed limiter (I assume) yes, it did for abit but at a much higher speed than 4500in 3rd would give. The rev limiter, it just stutters and lets you know about it. :wink:
it's been delimited as i took it 3 stupid speeds before...

LeeSmith

LOL nice description m8 8)

but, no it's more like when u bounce a car of a rev limitter......u no, when u have a hire car, take it out of gear and floor it for a few seconds....!!

LeeSmith

no, idles perfect. start it up and it revs at about 1200rpm, then drops down between 900 & 1000....sits there quite happily...

I'm all out of ideas mate. I've got books open here and everything. It's tuff with not being able to hear and feel what the car's doing etc.

You probably thought of all this but

I'd recomend just trying to take some stuff out of the equation, like turn ur bleed valve down and floor it to the redline (see if it'll get up there)

Change ur spark plug gap back to standard and run 1 bar (or 0.9 just in case of spikes cos you might not see them on a guage but they're still there.)

Replace ur leads

Do a fault code check.

Check the spring in ur BOV, if it's weak, it may be opening under high boost and allowing some to escape.

LeeSmith

Cheers for all your help mate, i apreciate it 8)

I'll change the leads, and plugs because i have been meaning to do that for a while...

Thanks again :wink:

I'll post up & let you know how i got on!!