40mm wider track - easy to counter?

G

GTI-R Kid

Folks, in my long search for a set of decent wheels I'm getting fed up with the amount I'm coming across in different PCD's. I've found quite a few I would have jumped at, only to find they are 4x114.3 or 5x100 etc.:doh:

With this in mind I did a little research and found that its possible to buy kits that change the original 4x100 pcd to many other different options. The only drawback that I can see (unless someone points out more) is that the smallest kit would add 20mm to the track on each side just like adding spacers.

What I wanted to know was if its possible to counteract this wider spacing by fitting wheels with a different offset to the normal GTI-R offset? For example, the GTI-R has an offset of about 37mm, so if I sourced a set with an offset of 57mm would this mean that the wheel would sit in the same position in the arch as if I'd bought ET37 without fitting spacers? Or is it the other way round and I'd need ET17 offset?

Or am I just dreaming and what I'm suggesting just wouldn't work?:oops:

Any advice or opinions appreciated.

T

Trent

you will be able to fit a higher offset to sit the wheels further under the arch, but it might also stress other suspension components hub, ball joints etc. then there is brake clearances and you would need a spot on suspension setup.

the bigger the wheels you fit, the smaller your offset should get anyway.:lol:

check this from takakaira

http://www.takakaira.com/rimsandtyres/rimsspecs/nissanrims.html