205/40 and 215/40 tyres

milesy gti-r 1

Will 205/40/17 tyres be ok on the front and 215/40/17 on the rear as just bought a set of team dynamics and 2 have 205/40 and the other 2 have 215/40??? its not been lowered yet and still on standard suspension set up :doh:

Trip

all 4 wheels should be of the same size (or the same outer diameter) . If your tyres are not the same you will fu*kup your centre diff. Simple..

milesy gti-r 1

ummm this is what i thought!!! oh dear have been done over then as bought them with what i got told were 205/40 tyres and they aint!!!! not happy

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
In principle yes and I wouldn't do it but in the short term it's less of a big deal.

The difference in wheel size is theoretically 8mm and the difference in ride hight between the front and rear axles is nominally 4mm.

However, I assume they are different brands (I wouldn't recommend this either) that will have different sidewall flex and the car uses different tyre pressues front to rear too. Given that then it's impossible to pin down the difference.

Put the 215/40's on the front, set the tyre pressures at 34F 33R. The slighlty pumped up rear will be fine handling wise on an OE setup and should reduce the effective radius of the tyre.

It's far from perfect but it will probably not kill your diff for that amount.

milesy gti-r 1

Thanks alot for that mate, but looks like i am going to be buying either 3 toyo t1-r's or yoko parada's so only 1 tyre will be an odd make and thats a nankang ns 11 sport. Dont you just love spending money lol

Trip

Thanks alot for that mate, but looks like i am going to be buying either 3 toyo t1-r's or yoko parada's so only 1 tyre will be an odd make and thats a nankang ns 11 sport. Dont you just love spending money lol
:der:

If you are changing 3 tyres, do the extra effort and buy the 4th. It will be well worth it.

Trip

Run with what you have and when you have the cash get them all together.. At least the wear will be even on all 4 corners.

John

Run with what you have and when you have the cash get them all together.. At least the wear will be even on all 4 corners.
Totally agree, you will probably end up doing more damage running 3 brand new tyres and 1 worn one than with the setup you currently have.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Nangkang? :doh: I suggest you put it on the corner that you want to have chronic loss of grip or in some instances a failed tyre.

They may have improved their quality over the years but they were disasterous the last time I knew any friends with performance cars (Not taxis or Mums) using them.

If you are short of cash, some good brand part worns or 4 decent budget brand tryes like federal/hankook would be a better plan.

milesy gti-r 1

You are entitled to your opinion but have heard they aint too hot!!!! but just managed to pick up 4x champiro gt radial's for 50 quid and they are nearly new so am quite happy with that

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
You are entitled to your opinion but have heard they aint too hot!!!! but just managed to pick up 4x champiro gt radial's for 50 quid and they are nearly new so am quite happy with that
I don't know them but I've not had bad reports either from anyone I know. At least 4 are the same so fingers crossed and give some feedback :thumbsup: