19's, is it possible? Is it worth it?

A

Anonymous

Looking into getting shot of my 17" oz polaris' wheels and looking for something new.
I've gone from a VTS to a Gti-r and there is already alot of handling difference beetween the 2. (VTS being better and obviously lighter)
Has any one put 19's on their R with standard suspension and has anyone got piccys?
I've looked through loads of threads and lots of members have lots of different preferences, but i've not seen any 19's.
Can someone make my mind up for me pleeeaaasssseee..... :?

Cheers

:D

A

Anonymous

Nope no feature, just wondering if anyone has done it.

"Don't do it!!"

Why not?

"The Gti-r is what wheels were invented for" A wise man once said :lol:

S

stomski

some1 has got 19's on their R, and there is a pic somewhere on here - only looked at it the other day.

looks outa place tho, stick to 17's mate. :D

S

srbpower

no, would look so out of place on an R, 17's look massive!

Si :)

A

Anonymous

I've been looking for about an hour (not that i'm at work or anything) and can't find a picture. It doesn't seem like it's a good idea to put on 19's but i'd like to see one with them on to put me outta me misery.
Lot's with 18's, they look pretty good 8)

S

stomski

its on this section, 4page i think under 18's page 3 pr 4, on bouncing bullet .com link.

A

Anonymous

Well done that man!!! :)
I search for ages... I see what you all mean now, they do look a little out of place and someone mentions gearbox problems!!!! Not for me!!!!

20" spinners it is :lol:

Cheers All

Nad

phoenix99999 said:
I've gone from a VTS to a Gti-r and there is already alot of handling difference beetween the 2. (VTS being better and obviously lighter)
Might want to learn to drive it properly if u think a FWD is gonna outhandle it. Hands up for wheelspin out of corners.

Nad

A

Anonymous

Maybe it has something to do with 10 extra years of suspension development :idea: or the nearly solid plastic kumho tyres on my R or even just that i can't drive. :cry:

faz

19's on an R :?

If you do then

1. It will slow you down (not what you want)
2. Look out of proportion

The R wasnt designed for ridiculously big wheels, personally I wouldnt go bigger than 16" but thats just my opinion! :wink:

Nad

phoenix99999 said:
Maybe it has something to do with 10 extra years of suspension development :idea: or the nearly solid plastic kumho tyres on my R or even just that i can't drive. :cry:
Stick some Dunlop DO1's on it, Toyo's or F1's on it should sort it out. Out of a corner u be hard pushed to equal 4WD traction in a FWD car.

Nad

A

Anonymous

I thought it must be the rubber really; i've had a couple of near death experiences in the R just on fast road. (Always in a rush(Late))
80mph in the R and i'm on the othe side of the road where as the vts i can push it another 20mph and go where i'm pointing. The person that sold it to me said that it had a handling problem and i found that the rear anti-roll bar link were only just connected so i hope that now i've replaced them + new wheels and mainly tyres will make me on time for work again.
Went through t1's in 2.6k in the vts
couldn't wear out zv1's (Not good)
f1's seemed a good in betweener (better in the wet though than t1's)
conti sports!!! Hmmmm... I wish
Vredenstien's (If that's how you spell it) good alrounder wet of dry.

I find that: i point the thing at a corner and it says "i prefer the roman road" so i carry straight on!!!!
I hope it's just rubber anyway!!!

kyepan

when i had my old FWD car it was a case of hammer in, left foot it to get it turning in and boot after the apex. now i find its... in slower, settle, power on and fast out.. totally different.. but dad took me out in the r tonight and was left footing it down some twisty b roads (he really can drive) and it was really responding ok to it.. so its swings and roundabouts.. i think it would depend on your driving style.

on the rubber note.. when i had falkens i found that i got alot of understeer and a massive ammount in damp and wet.

the toyos grip much much better.. much much better

the turn in and understeer is a well noted problem on the r if you are pushing that hard, but it depends how you set up for the corner..
and a bumpsteer kit neutralises most of that understeer.. (if i had the cash i would have it fitted)..

stick some light wheels on and decent tyres and it will handle much better.. if you go for big (and overley heavy) wheels the time it takes the suspension to respond will increase and it may be off the road for more time loosing you grip mid corner and suspension response. rear and front strut braces will help to keep it planted too.

A

Anonymous

Bumpsteer kit... That sounds good, along with the anti-lift and strut braces.
I'll just have to drive slower and leave earlier for work (Yeah :wink: ) in the morning till i get it all done.

Best Google search i ever did!!!!

There is no need for an instruction manual in English!!!!! :D

Thank you all

O

Odin

phoenix99999 said:
Looking into getting shot of my 17" oz polaris' wheels and looking for something new.
Has any one put 19's on their R with standard suspension and has anyone got piccys?
I've looked through loads of threads and lots of members have lots of different preferences, but i've not seen any 19's.
Can someone make my mind up for me pleeeaaasssseee..... :?

Cheers

:D
Rob you knew I'd edit this-Skid.

skiddusmarkus

You won't find many people on here who'll recommend 19's.I've managed to stick religiously to 15's(have got 3 sets now :lol: ).The biggest I'd want to go is 16's really(maybe 17's at an absolute push if they were lightweight).
You'll get better handling-some say accelleration too with smaller wheels.Don't do it-it will spoil the looks and ride.

I'm not surprised the VTS handled better-some people confuse handling with grip-the GTiR has plenty of grip(understeer apart) but doesn't handle brilliantly when standard.