17" Wheel weight?

johnsy

Im looking into getting some light weight wheels,currently got these super heavy bk racing bollocks fitted that came with the car.
I need an offset around 35 and they need to be 17's ,some where in the region of 5.5kg would be good,

What you guys using?

skiddusmarkus

5.5kg is very light for a 17" wheel, I think my 15" TE37's are around 4-5kg and are pretty much the lightest you can get without going magnesium.

johnsy

i wouldnt worry about wheel weight tbh. what you doing with them wheels you got repaired?
Have nt picked them up yet mark! gonna paint em and probs sell them,put the money towards a light set,same goes for the bk's,

i was in revolution and picked up a oz allagera thingibob, was only 5.5kg in 17" form

From what iv been reading, removing 1 kilo rotational mass is equivilant of removing 10kg from the interior. and those bk's must be summit like 8kg,

i recon it'll make a massive difference in accelaration

williams

Iv never bought a set of wheels. Always swapped haha. Theres better things to spend money on i think. I would rather go for a cage than light wheels. Extra stiffness in the car.

johnsy

Iv never bought a set of wheels. Always swapped haha. Theres better things to spend money on i think. I would rather go for a cage than light wheels. Extra stiffness in the car.
i plan on doing both,

even if its only 1-2 kilo's per wheellighter,

red reading

rotational inertia is also another point with larger wheel's, for acceleration and deceleration it's not so much the weight more as where it is postioned. but all in all the lighter the better for handling (cannot argue with science on that at all)

williams

I know about unsprung mass etc. Got a few books on handling and suspension setup. I personally think that money could be spent better in other places before light wheels. I would fully poly bush the car 1st, then cage. Then wheels after that. As you've already got decent suspension and brakes.

williams

If i had to choose 1 suspension mod to do to any car it would be poly bushs. They make a huge improvement in feedback from the car and make it feel alot more stable.

red reading

Polybush's are not alway's needed on these car's yet and powerflex are a bit too soft to be of any benefit on the suspension arm's btw

Each to there own way of thinking, but the rule about every 1kg lost from the un-sprung mass is equal to 8-10kg of the sprung mass is true!

williams

Just speaking from my experiance from my last few cars. Made the most noticable difference to me over anything else. Even with standard suspension.

red reading

Don't get me wrong it will if the standard part's are fubar'd, just there are some better option's from differant companies out there, powerflex in particular use soft compound's in there bushes as a compromise (NVH transmission into the car is the reason why i belive,could you imagine the complaint's they would get if there bushes turned the car into a harsh ,noisey thing!) , another thing with wheels is the tyres you use as well as some are alot heavier than others.

williams

Iv never used powerflex bushs. Normally used polyrace from rally design in the past, but they dont do them for the pulsar so using superflex this time.

zer099

I don't know how accessible they are in the UK, but motegi traklites are 4.5kg at 17x7 +42 offest. The traklite IIs are 4.7kg at 17x8 +42offset. I've used both and love them.