130k R with engine out, what to replace?

M

minimivic

My UK spec R had 130k miles on it now , I have owned it for 8 years and 75k miles. Its runs fine and no oil is burnt. It has goose, K&N, profec B, and is running 302hp at power station.
The engine is out to do Clutch,exhaust leak by turbo and steering rack.

On closer inspection there seems to be a lot of oil in the intake side of the turbo and the engine has been breathing heavy for a while. Do I do a rebuild while the motor is out? I intend to keep the car for a few more years if I do. What shall I do, crank, pistons (forged etc) cam chain etc. Ideas would be welcomed.
Clutch wise I was going for a exedy untl I search on this site so now thinking of RPS street but concirned about daily drivability, or will a helix organic surfice. If the turbo is tired I may upgrade to a 3071 or similar just because.

Your thoughts please, money wise I dont want to spend a fortune but I do want it done right. I have a mechanical background so most of the work will be done by me.

Thanks

GTiR_Mic

Alright mate if your turbo is goosed I would think about upgarding it really, Fusion Edd and Ashills are doing a group buy on the GT3071R which eould be ideal for you. As for the clutch if you do re-build the engine (I would do the cain etc and use forged ineternals) would you put up the boost? If so would a paddel cluctch not be a better option?

I went for the RPS Max Puk paddel, rated to 550l/b which is more than enough for my spec.

Hope it helps.

Mic

M

minimivic

What internals do people recomend. I have looked at JE and Wiseco pistons, what about total seal rings?
Who can supply the parts I need like shells and gaskets (OEM nissan? or other).
I can get hold of JE pistons from a friend that has an account, but dont they need modifying to fit.
Also need to get steering rack overhauled and new bushes (pm'd Ashills) and ideas?

P

pulsarboby

forge pistons, weisco and the like come out at 87mm which is 1mm over standard so you will need a rebore. if you have that done you will need to make sure theres no wear on your crank and fit new shells etc which can either be oe or hks and the like (arp rod bolts) recommended if you go down this route!
then you will need an uprated 1.2 steel head gasket to cope with extra compression! the list goes on, all depends on how deep your pockets are and what performance your looking for!

MarkTurbo

minimivic said:
On closer inspection there seems to be a lot of oil in the intake side of the turbo and the engine has been breathing heavy for a while
Has it still got the standard breather system on it? If so thats more than likely the cause of the oil in the turbo inlet ;-)

M

minimivic

I've decided not to rebuild the engine (if it aint broke dont fix attitude).
I am interested in the breather cleaning idea. How is it done or is it best to add a catch tank etc.
I have ordered a helix organic clutch and a few other parts.
On closer instection the turbo exhaust housing is cracked so a turbo is needed I like the idea of the 3071 but costs are a bit high. How does a turbo technics t28 hybrid sound? it has a 360 thrust and differnt wheel, cost is £650 delivered.

youngsyp

To clean the OE breather system, the best thing is petrol ! Personally, I'd bin the entire system and install a decent catch tank !

Chances are though that you'd need to give the intake and intercooler a good clean out anyway, if the OE breather system was that bad. Again, use pertol !

As for the turbo, if you're gonna go for a T28 hybrid, just get your turbo rebuilt with a full ball bearing core, and get them to flow the housings. Haven't investigated costs myself but, it will be a much better turbo than a hybrid with just a 360 degree thrust bearing and possible clipped blades.
The ball bearing core will allow the turbo to spin up in very little time, reducing lag significantly and the flowing will allow it to flow more air !

Just a thought !

MarkTurbo

minimivic said:
I like the idea of the 3071 but costs are a bit high. How does a turbo technics t28 hybrid sound? it has a 360 thrust and differnt wheel, cost is £650 delivered.
If you werent bothered about having to spin the compressor housing and having to knock up an actuator bracket you could get a 3071 from the states for about £150 more than that! If its something your going to do in the future anyway you'd be better off spending the extra cash now ;-)

M

minimivic

A 3071 would be nice, but the nissan is just an everyday run about for me now. I need it back on the road ASAP and cant wait for things to come in from the states. Thanks for the help though.
Think I'll order my t28 hybrid today and be happy.

M

minimivic

I'm temped by the fusion group buy.
What else will I need to get the 3071 working on my car? (Injectors, FMIC,etc) or can I fit it as a standard replacement for now with the option to boost more later?