100mm pen style apexi tubby timer instructions?

J

Jon

anybod have one of these fitted? or know what the buttons do?
just got one & dont know how to program it :? :?
cheers
Jon

Paul R

I have one but couldn't get the autotimer bit working because of the signal from the O2 sensor (just get 3 dashes), the manual mentions this happens with some makes of car/sensor.

I personally set a 30 second timer and if I've been hoofing it then manually increase by moving the lever up after switching the ignition off.

The AFR readout (second display down) is next to useless when driving as being numerical it's very hard to see what is going on. I guess at WOT you can see if things are steady from a fuel pump/regulator point of view (ish).

The other features such as the battery voltage is kindof OK.

mattygti-r

its a doddle to install and work that apexi

the instructions are on teh usa site for apexi

cos its not got a "wide band" on the R some of the features on the apexi unit wont work when driving etc,

all you want it for is battery voltage and use as a timer

ram5ay

got one of these little gizmo's :) .

wired it all in no probs, and the a/f ratio reads off mine ok. sometimes goes on and off a bit, but when cruisin at steady throttle (when the lambda is workin) it reads steadily around 14:1 this drops down past 10:1 when accelerating.
not sure about the auto timing function tho, seems a bit irratic on my motor, but like Paul R sais just toggle the time up/down to suit.

mattygti-r

:roll:

youve got the same turbo timer! lol

anways you just watch the numbers go round

but least your car isnt broken :( :cry:

JIMMYBACK

my car has a fcuked altenator bracket which causes a hideous noise from inside the engine bay......... :x :evil: :evil: :evil:

JIMMYBACK

true......but as soon as i fix that some thing else will fcuk up
my window still needs some" slight adjustment"
anyone got a brick handy :twisted:

JIMMYBACK

fpmsl :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: if there damaged do i get a discount :shock: :lol: :lol:

Paul R

ram5ay said:
the a/f ratio reads off mine ok. sometimes goes on and off a bit, but when cruisin at steady throttle (when the lambda is workin) it reads steadily around 14:1 this drops down past 10:1 when accelerating.
You actually get a reading (on the first selection)? Did you change the settings from the default? I very occasionally get a reading when the car is on idle just after starting but then it drops to 10.1 sits there for a few seconds and then '---'. I guess because the sensor gets pre-heated at turn over but there isn't enough heat generated at other times.

The wideband/narrowband doesn't matter in this case, yep the reading from the narrowband sensor is next to useless but a mate has the same timer on a Starlet GT Turbo and that uses a narrowband sensor, his gets readings all the time.

J

Jon

excellent cheers for the info & thanks for the link si, i did try a google search but couldnt find it?
installed it a while ago just wondered what all the buttons do :)

ram5ay

Good luck with the timer instructions JON, took me a while to try an decipher them, still not to sure about some stuff tho :? , hope you get it all sussed.

Paul R said:
You actually get a reading (on the first selection)? Did you change the settings from the default?
Yeh I get a pretty good reading on the first selection, it does randomly either go above 10:1 or below 20:1 and just display ---, dont know why tho, but it happens pretty often. Think it may be to do with the speed at which the sensor signal changes/switches. The timer wire going to the ecu needs to have a really good contact (soldered), I also cleaned the sensor a while back which might help a bit with the signal.
The settings on the timer are still as factory spec.