Wrong gearbox fill plug

P

pulsar400r

On the rear gearbox/engine mount there is a small cut away with a plug in it. Looks as though it is a fill plug for something. Does anyone know what it is for? Been reading through the service manual and previous threads but cant find any reference to it. Any info would be great as a friend was doing a gearbox oil change and started to refill it through this plug before the error of his ways was pointed out to him. Cant work out what else needs a filler plug. I know some gearboxes have a filler, a level and drain plug but as far as I know, the GTIR just has a filler/level plug. Cheers for any help.

Mr GTiR

I was looking at this same place for a gearbox catch tank breather system. Just never got round to actually sorting anything out. Someone did tell me what it was for but I have forgotten since then.

P

pulsar400r

Just found another thread about it but unfortunately no difinitive answer. Someone replied thinking it may be another filler plug. May have to get him to remove the drain plug again and see if what he put in comes back out.

geoff pine

Its the filler plug you put it in the top one and when its at the right level it should drip out of the other one. that's how i filled my gearbox .

RU55 GTR

Its the filler plug you put it in the top one and when its at the right level it should drip out of the other one. that's how i filled my gearbox .
In agreement with yourself, but I don't think they are discussing this/ these plugs?! Is the thread regarding plugs at the rear of car side on box or passenger side end of box or top of...???? :oops:

geoff pine

In agreement with yourself, but I don't think they are discussing this/ these plugs?! Is the thread regarding plugs at the rear of car side on box or passenger side end of box or top of...???? :oops:
I have just gone for a look in the garage as my engine is on the floor the rear bracket where this plug is located is not the gearbox/engine mounting bracket. Its the bracket for the engine stabilizer to limit backwards and forwards movement . A photo would help