whining gearbox

A

another sunny

My box has started to make a whining noise on de-acceleration in 3rd 2nd and 1st gears, this has got loader and now as i drove home there is a whine in every gear as you drive along. Also it has been dificult to engage 1st gear at a standstill for a couple of months now .What is the most common failure in gtir boxes? is there a simple cure or is it inevitable that i will have a huge bill or a lot or work.
I should add that i have a low ratio box and i am running close to 300hp if this makes a difference.:cry:

GTiR_Mic

It could be on it's way out mate, the syncros would be on the way out if you find it hard to change gear. My box did start whining not long before it went.

You can try changhing the oil to Redline gearbox oil, that may help cure it.

If the box does finaly go I would suggest going for an uprated box or a really good condiation std one.

Mic

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Mine started whining after a trackday and had similar symptoms that you've described. When it was taken apart the bearings had collapsed, however the syncro’s were still in good nick.

Cost me a total of £600 to sort out my gearbox, although it seems a lot I was more inclined to repair it then buy a 2nd hand one and a month later have the box go again.

Good quality oils are also worth investing to help maintain your gearbox.

Mr GTiR

Oils are good but if it's on it's way out the there nothing you can do to prevent it from going BANG.

abyss

Synco might be on way out, by sounds of things same happened to me, could also be main shaft which is on way out. Get it rebuild sooner rather than later.

A

another sunny

will it be cheeper to just buy another box of is it worth keeping my low ratio one?

turbodaily

if it were me id get the existing box rebuilt, that way you know its ganna last a while,where as a used box could pop at any time. not the easiest job to change the box either so do it once and do it proper in my opinion.

T

turlr1

Hi does anyon eknow who can do a good job on rebuilding the GTiR gearboxes as mine has just locked up on me thanks