Which is the best turbo?

Thor

Hello!

Which is the best turbo (Garrett, HKS, Turbonetics, Borg Warner etc) for high power and fast spool? I know 500 hp and fast spool is impossible with 2.0 conversion but which one is not too laggy and makes good torque/hp up to 500hp?

cheers
Sascha

bernieGTIR

I’m running a gt3071 from Owen developments which is not to laggy and I my r is running 443bhp. But I am running an external wastegate which helps spool up a bit apparently (not convinced myself but it sounds cool).It copes with track day madness ok and its boosting up just before 3k. give them a ring and ask for ian in technical for more help.

Mad

Sasha,

GT3076r is really your only option. You may squeeze 500bhp out of a GT3071r but probably not.

The fast spooling is not just dependant on your turbo but compression ratio, cams, ignition timing and mapping.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Someone was trying to explain that to me; the cams don't have quite the same effect as they would in a N/A car, but if they're set-up right they allow you to open the exhaust ports a little earlier which puts more exhaust through the turbine and thus spools the turbo earlier?

Fusion Ed

Agree 3076R aka GT30R/3037R external waste gate option is really the only sensible way to aim for 500hp. I can supply for 1030+del if interested.

Mad

It is also important to have your cams dialled in properly so a set of vernier cam pulleys will help your setup.

Why is it people seem to think the only company that makes turbos is Garrett :doh: (yes as you know I work for the competition :lol:)

To quote a recent post I put on the modifiers site:

"Now thats a big question, off the top of my head the following all make a turbo around GT3076r sized:
-Holset Hy35/HX35 depending on housing and trims can be sized from 3076 to 35 size
-Borg Warner S300's (very nice compressors with extended tip technology)
-MHI TD05/06's
-Turbonetics GTKs and TN's
-IHI VF's although can't figure out there nomenclature, although I think a VF34 (ball bearings) or VF22 (bigger but has journal bearings) are in the ball park
-SC34/44 from Precision turbo
-HKS variants of Garrett turbos such as the 3037
-Trust I'm sure will also do something around the right size too"
Bosch and Toyota are also very likely to start making turbos in the not too distant future based on thenumber of patents they have filed in recent years in the area.

But to answer your question for quick spool I would be looking at a ball bearing cored turbo with a billet compressor wheel (try to find one thats been designed for low intertia rather than demanding duty cycle). Also ensure that the turbine stage swallowing capacity is match to the engine breathing lines on the compressor map, remembering to take into account the wastegated flow (to do this assume the flow in the wastegate is choked i.e. mach number is 1).

Another thing you may want to consider if you are also looking for a new exhaust manifold is to go for a twinscroll manifold with a divided turbine housing. Russ (Empty Pockets) and I have discussed this at length, I remain a little unconvinced about the benifits of twin scroll exhausts on 4 cylinder, but in theory they stop the exhaust pulses from interfering with each other.

If I were you I would be looking at Precision, Borg Warner and Scooby Clinic's billet variant of the GT30R

Dan is right about looking at the rest of the engine though, things like compression, ignition timing, intercooler pipe work and cams can all have a big influence on turbo lag.

Jamaala1

Makaveli_se7en i couldn't have said it any better myself. The bias towards garrett turbo by R users is crazy. There are so many different variation to achieve your target of 500 bhp. Furthermore, although the gt3076r makes good power, the wheel design is completely mismatched. I know i will get flamed for this but I personally would never choose a hks turbo as it is simply a re-badged precision/ garrett turbo with a "unique" compressor housing. Its simply not worth the money.

My two cents.

Mad

I agree there are more options out there but due to the R being 20 years old and not being made anymore, turbo development for the R is slow so most people go with the obvious choice of Garrett.

Schwitzer who produced KKK turbos are now Borg Warner.

Also agreed that the 3076 is not the best matched turbo in world. In terms of a U/C match a 65mm diameter turbine wheel that flows about the same as the 60mm GT30 wheel would be a better option, but Garrett don't have anything that size. This is part of the cause of the gap in the Garrett line up, where they don't really have anything between 520 - 600bhp as the turbine wheel jump from 60mm to 68mm.