Wheel weights...

My 17" Wolfraces are 17.5KG each including tyres.

When I had some tyres being swapped over from my old wheels (Fox Evo 3s which were on when I bought her) I compared the weight (by hand) between the two, and my current rims felt literally about half the weight of the Foxes.

It just got me wondering - is 17.5KG fairly light for a 17" rim with tyre? Anyone else weighed their 17s?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
mattygti-r said:
Fast Guy said:
http://www.wheelweights.net/
theres always one smart ar$e :lol: and its normally you Fast Guy
I have qualifications to prove it :D

It's alot more subtle than saying USE THE SEARCH FACILITY (even if it was google) , in fact probably so sublte that noone realised I was saying it.

antgtir

I think there are competition wheels that Buddy Club do that are either 3 or 3.5kg not sure on what size tho :?

Ant.

pete-r

i went to buy some wolfraces from my local motormania and when i asked them the weight they looked at me like i was a nutter!they had to phone wolfrace direct but i didnt realise untilthen how heavy they are.Ive got some nice buddyclubs now :wink: .

Fast Guy said:
It's alot more subtle than saying USE THE SEARCH FACILITY (even if it was google) , in fact probably so sublte that noone realised I was saying it.
Hmm, I knew about wheelweights.net, but not much good if they don't list my wheels :roll:

I was hoping to generate a small discussion on the subject of cheaper wheel weights (like Wolfrace / TSW / etc) rather than just a "I have buddyclubs / use the search facility" replies that I'm getting now.

Scandelous as it might seem, I don't just choose a wheel based solely upon its weight - I like my R to look as good as it can too :wink: However, I'm aware of the consequence of heavy wheels, but I don't like the look of buddyclubs (sorry all you owners, just a question of personal taste).

Just curious as to whether anyone else had rims on the cheaper end of the market had weighed one (with tyre) whilst it was conveniently off the car.

antgtir

Not sure on the cost to buy nowadays but i have Enkei racing wheels which are supposed to be reasonably light, they may be another option if your looking for style to 8) :D

Ant.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The idea was you could use that site to check the weight of other 17s to compare yours with. I didn't realise you didn't know the weight of your wheel without tyre :?

I think my Volks with 225/40/16s came to about 14.5kg, and my Enkeis with 205/50/15s came to about 15.5kg
So your 17s don't sound too bad, but they could be better :wink:

Lighter wheels are all well and good, but if you have a big heavy tyre on the wheel it negates the weight of the wheel. I'm comtemplating going to 215/35/16s to see if I can save another kg or too :wink:

S

Stoned

My Superleggera's are 5.5kg in 16" form minus the tyres. Even with tyres they weighed less than the 15's I had on there before

Having lightweight wheels does make the difference on acceleration

I couldn't agree more. My problem is that I have 325mm disks on the front, so I can't go less than 17" on the rim 8)

The Yoko A539s that I have my wheels shod with at the moment could be lighter - they seemed to be well constructed, but ultimately quite heavy... Going back to Toyos either when I've scrubbed the Yokos or get a diff set of rims :)