What's in your exhaust ?

What's in your exhaust ?

• Mongoose silenced de-cat.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Straight thru' de-cat pipe with no backbox.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Resonator (ie bloated in the middle) straight thru pipe.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Janspeed (or other) Sports Cat.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Standard Cat.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other brand silenced de-cat.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Have de-cat pipe but have a backbox.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 20.5%

• Total voters

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
Cheers for coming to read this - if you could spare me a few seconds i'd greatly appreciate it.

I've got a Janspeed 3" elbow/down-pipe combo, which i currently run with a 'goose system with silenced de-cat. I'm hopefully getting thru the post a CAT back Janspeed 3" system and am trying to figure out what to do with the gap where the silenced 'goose de-cat once lived.

What do you run with on your exhaust ? (doesn't matter what make it is.)

a) Mongoose silenced de-cat.
b) Straight thru' de-cat pipe with no backbox.
c) Resonator (ie looks bloated in the middle) straight thru pipe.
d) Janspeed (or other) Sports Cat.
e) Standard Cat.
f) Other brand silenced de-cat.
g) Have de-cat pipe but have a backbox.
h) Other.

Any other pointers, advice etc appreciated. Performance is the key thing I'm aiming for, but I know the Old Bill can be fussy about exhaust noise.Turbo-wise, I'm going to be running a GT2871R within the next couiple of months.

Cheers,

donpulsar

Last edited:
O

Odin

Janspeed do a box for that section, Why not just fit that ?.....

I have a janspeed down pipe as well, But I'm going to get a custom rear section made up to cut down on the DB's a little....

Rob

Mr GTiR

I would run a 3" decat centre section to join the two together.

On mine i've got a 3" exhaust system (down pipe, front pipe. decat) and that goes into a 5ZIGEN Border 304 Max rear muffler to help keep the db's down.

All i'm getting next is a 3" elbow as seen on Jones_gtir car.

GTiR_Mic

I have a custom 3" Front Section stragiht off the turbo and a Mongose rear section. Once the car is back on the road taking it down to my mates garage to get a custom made 3" rear section (Simialr to Mongose rear)

Mic

youngsyp

I've got a Hayward & Scott 3" elbow and downpipe, with a 2.5" exhaust, including decat pipe from the flexi back. There's 1 resonator about 3/4's of the way back (under the rear seat) and a 'can' type rear box, probably about 12" long, angled outward !

Personally, I think the rear box is a token gesture and doesn't actually quieten things too much, if at all as, it's a straight through perforated pipe design. Still, it looks nice. :lol:

It's loud in the car but, from outside I'd imagine it sounds like the sky is falling, when the engines at full chat. I keep thinking about getting a silenced cat pipe but, from experimenting with putting the cat back in, I'm not sure it's worth it !

Just for information, the futher along the exhaust pipe you fit a silencer, the more effective it'll be at reducing the exhausts sound out put !
The turbo also makes a very effective silencer so, I'm guessing the bigger the turbo, the more effect it'll have on the engines noise output ! There's some logic in the somewhere ?!