what turbo stg2 t28 or a gt28r?

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
There's so many specs of turbo out there that one company's "Stage 2" is gonna be completely different from another company's "Stage 2". But to give you some idea, a decent standard turbo is good for upto 320bhp, whereas due to its size, a gt28r will prob top out at that. Yeah it'll spin up quicker, but wont give you anything else to show for it . The "Stage 2" will rely on normal bearing technology so may not spin up as fast, but depending how its modified may give you 350-360bhp +.

Most important things are : How much power do you want and how big is your wallet ? My advice is go for the gt28rs aka "disco potato" or the one i run, the gt2871r. Both spin up nice n'quick and will give more power than either the gt28r or the "Stage 2". The gt2871r is giving me 380bhp and still has more to give.

Stay away from the Turbo Technics Stage 1's!

Cheers,

donpulsar :)

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
Rolling road shows 1.6 bar @ 381.4bhp...have a feeling that it was running with a slight leak on the GReddy boost controller side. That's now cured, so a remap/power run may show a bit more! :)

Braveheart

donpulsar said:
Rolling road shows 1.6 bar @ 381.4bhp...have a feeling that it was running with a slight leak on the GReddy boost controller side. That's now cured, so a remap/power run may show a bit more! :)
Thanks..... :thumbsup:
Don't be surprised if you receive a PM from me after the new year as I have a GT2871R to fit and may be after a little info. ;-)

Adam L

I doubt you'll get anywhere near 350bhp + from a T28, the wheels and housings just won't flow that kind of gas/air, i'd give it 300bhp. Garrett don't rate them over that either. If you are getting rolling road figures of such power, the rollers are incredibley innacurate, or your car is magical.

Anyone know what they do to a ''Stage 2'' turbo? I can't understand what it entails, you can sleave a bigger compressor wheel for the T28 shaft but it's a complete waste of time when you aren't making the exhaust side bigger. The GTiR runs the biggest T28 wheel Garrett made aswell, so the next size up would have to be T3, which would require a T3 core and housings so it wouldn't fit the manifold. Not to mention, T3's are ancient peices of shit.

Adam L

I'd be interested to see what T28 it is, as I said, Garrett themselves rate that turbo to 300bhp max. I wouldn't take every rolling road figure you've ever seen as gospel, take them with a pinch of salt, personally I wouldn't even do that.

Keira

i did 340 on a t28 at 1.3bar on a set of rollers where an fq320 made 325bhp the same day, so not along wrong with their figures tbh.

i'd imagine a stage 2 has a 360bearing and not alot else tbh.

Adam L

Keira said:
i did 340 on a t28 at 1.3bar on a set of rollers where an fq320 made 325bhp the same day, so not along wrong with their figures tbh.

i'd imagine a stage 2 has a 360bearing and not alot else tbh.
Seems a bit more accurate than what i've seen but i'm hard to please:-D. To be honest, a 270 thrust bearing would probably hold out just as well as a 360, I just put the mass failures down to high mileage turbo's and too much boost, which isn't the best combo in any case.

mad max

Adam L said:
I doubt you'll get anywhere near 350bhp + from a T28, the wheels and housings just won't flow that kind of gas/air, i'd give it 300bhp. Garrett don't rate them over that either. If you are getting rolling road figures of such power, the rollers are incredibley innacurate, or your car is magical.

Anyone know what they do to a ''Stage 2'' turbo? I can't understand what it entails, you can sleave a bigger compressor wheel for the T28 shaft but it's a complete waste of time when you aren't making the exhaust side bigger. The GTiR runs the biggest T28 wheel Garrett made aswell, so the next size up would have to be T3, which would require a T3 core and housings so it wouldn't fit the manifold. Not to mention, T3's are ancient peices of shit.
I don't think surrey rolling road is out /or incredibley innacurate /my one made 417 at some where else ,you can see big power out of a t28 !"

youngsyp

mad max said:
Well i run a t28 (norris ) my one made 389 bhp@ surrey rolling road @ 1.6
Yep, and my OE T28 helped my car make 318 bhp @just under 1.1 bar on the same day. And mines done 94k miles !

Paul