What kind of turbo do I have?

M

Mulisha

I bought a new turbo last month and nobody knew what it was. Its a garrett, .86 ar stamped on the cold side and .63 ar stamped on the hot side. It looks almost identical to the stock turbo but just a tad bit bigger.
Any clue

M

Mulisha

No sorry, I could take some of it in the engine bay but it wouldn't do any good. I thought the GTiR came with a T28. It looks almost the same but the cold side is thicker, Any way to tell what the pitch of the blades are or something like that.

S

Sirnixalot

the GTi-R does come with a T-28 but you can get different spec T-28's. You probably have the S14/15 compressor housing or something like that

cmng

Mulisha said:
I bought a new turbo last month and nobody knew what it was. Its a garrett, .86 ar stamped on the cold side and .63 ar stamped on the hot side. It looks almost identical to the stock turbo but just a tad bit bigger.
Any clue

COLD SIDE AR 86
HOT SIDE AR 63

more like T25
Since cold side is AR86 ( or AR 80 ? )

S14 and S15 compressor housing is AR 60

S

Sirnixalot

cmng said:
S14 and S15 compressor housing is AR 60
:oops: guess its something different then....silly guy for buying a turbo you know nothing about :?

ashills

me and edd had T28s off the s14 and they are naff for more than 1 bar really as they have the smaller housing but spooled up very fast

S

Sirnixalot

the s14/15 copressor housing is larger than the pulsar but the turbine is smaller

A

Anonymous

I am sura that is a Garret T-28 with a S14/S15 Compressor. Should spin faster than the stock Garret T-28 of the R´s

skiddusmarkus

As I understand it,to get it to spin faster,earlier in the revrange,you need a smaller exhaust housing.Sticking on a bigger compressor alone won't make it spin faster.If anything it will spin slower as it will create more drag(ie airflow).

M

Mulisha

So if it is a S14/15 do they come ballbearing? or how do you tell if its ball bearing or not. The guy I bought it from said it was a stage 3 for an SR20DET.

guess its something different then....silly guy for buying a turbo you know nothing about
I needed a turbo and got one fast.

skiddusmarkus

Ther should be a part# on it somewhere.Contact the company that made it and ask them.Other than that,you'll know as soon as it's fitted cos they spin for a lot longer than a regular bearing turbo.You can hear them spinning away for about 30secs after the engine is switched off.You'll also notice quicker spoolup.