Weight saving, Windows and stripping out etc?

S

shaun999

How much weight can be saved by replacing all the windows (including the screen) with polycarbonate/Perspex. I know the windscreen would then not be road legal.
I am planning on getting it as light as possible. What would be a good weight to get the car down to, with stripping it out too?

Shaun

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Aim for around 1050kg if you're going mad, you may get even lighter. Mines should be around 1100+ at the moment, but I haven't gone mad yet, ie sound proofing, excess wiring etc

Lexan saves about 1/2 the weight of glass, maybe around 7kg for the sides and rear, and half of whatever the windsrceen weighs.

S

shaun999

There is also the weight of the electric window mechanisms which can then be removed. Any ideas how much a pair of those weigh? 10kg?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I don't need to guess. FAST tells me the weights.:lol:

Motor 580G
Mechanism 711g

1.291kg total.

S

shaun999

Where did you get that info from mate? did you weigh them yourself?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
FAST, the Nissan parts software. The ER (European right hand drive) version lists the weights of everything.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I wouldn’t recommend removing your windscreen as that is a fundamental strengthening section. Not only that it’s not road legal. :shock:

youngsyp

fubar andy said:
I wouldn’t recommend removing your windscreen as that is a fundamental strengthening section. Not only that it’s not road legal. :shock:
It'll also scratch much more easily than glass making it useless for our weather !

For info, just removing the spare wheel and scissor jack will lose you 13Kg's. Unfortunately, thats weight gone from the wrong end.

Paul

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Radders said:
Fast Guy, is it easy to convert to manual window winders? Something on my list to do!

Cheers :)

I assume it'll be a nut and bolt job. You'll need to make a hole in your door trim and you'll be left with the switches unless you source a different door trim.

Having just found the weight of the motor(above) it's alot of work to save 580g per side. A good dump would sort that:thumbsup:

youngsyp said:
For info, just removing the spare wheel and scissor jack will lose you 13Kg's. Unfortunately, thats weight gone from the wrong end.

Paul
Full aircon system will save 23kg from the other end to even it out:thumbsup: