Water to air intercooler..

A

Anonymous

Does anyone have one installed on their car?

and if so.. do you have photos?

and what do u think of it..

etc etc etc. any info would be great.

S

Sirnixalot

not very good for effective cooling over long periods...unless the heat exchanger is very good.

If this is a drag racing R then its perfect. Nothing says lower charge temps than ice water.

hop on to www.sr20forum.com and search for "water to air" in their turbo section

A

Anonymous

i really want to see this in a gti-r.

no body goes to this length to do so.

is it worth it? i do hear good things about it and no its not going to be a drag car.

i want this in my car as to be different. but also wish to know is it worth it

S

Sirnixalot

its worth it but i dont think it is for daily driving.

The added weight and complexity is usually too much hassle. Usually they are great where space saving in the engine bay is a concern.

They work and work well in cold ambient temps but it also has to do with how efficient your heat exchanger is.

Go for it if you want to be different but remember being different costs a bit more money.

Water to air IC US$400-$500
intercooler piping $60-$100
Plumbing $75-200 (depending on what you use i.e. rubber hose and brass hose barb fittings will cost less than braided)
Heat exchanger (some times known as the radiator, i find that motor bike ones work well...if you can find one with a flat core) $100-$???
Pump $120-$140 (Get a Jabsco unit...end of story)
Resivuar $75-$150 (Depends on the size and what not.....usually a 3gallon fuel cell with no interior anitslosh foam works well)
Electronics (relays, switches, wires, solder, heat shrik, etc.) $30

Have fun..take pix 8)

Nad

For every 10% reduction in the compressed charge temperature there is an increase in power output of roughly 3%.

With a typical air inlet temperature of about 25°C the pressurised output charge temperature from the turbo may reach 120°C or even more. If it passes through an air to air intercooler the charge temps can be brought down to approx 40-60°C where as air to liquid intercoolers can only reduce the charge's delivery temps to a value of about 5-10°C above that of the engines cooling temp, around 80-90°C so less power is achieved.

L8rs

Nad

Keira

The charge coolers water supply in most instances is pre-cooled by a fooking great pre-rad and is completely seperate from the engines water cooling system.

Not sure what you're saying ????

The pre-rad one on my old car was a fair old size, easily the same size as the rad, think it was about 5 litres of water to fill the whole charge cooler system.

Wouldn't have another one leaked all the time and the pump kept failing :(

skiddusmarkus

Some chargecoolers run off the cars cooling system hence higher temps.It makes for a more simple system but isn't as good as a dedicated setup.

S

Sirnixalot

Nad said:
For every 10% reduction in the compressed charge temperature there is an increase in power output of roughly 3%.

With a typical air inlet temperature of about 25°C the pressurised output charge temperature from the turbo may reach 120°C or even more. If it passes through an air to air intercooler the charge temps can be brought down to approx 40-60°C where as air to liquid intercoolers can only reduce the charge's delivery temps to a value of about 5-10°C above that of the engines cooling temp, around 80-90°C so less power is achieved.

L8rs

Nad

Not true Nad. These water to air systems can reduce operating temps well below ambient if ice and ice water/coolant is used.

Who the hell would run a water to air IC setup using the engine coolant and water pump to use as the exchange medium? Thats worse than a topmount

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Sirnixalot said:
Who the hell would run a water to air IC setup using the engine coolant and water pump to use as the exchange medium? Thats worse than a topmount
I believe it was tried when charge coolers were first being designed, but thank god the realised the error of their ways :D

The heat exchanger on my old cars' chargecooler wasn't too big, but it would have been a piece of cake to put a bigger one in it's place, but I don't think it needed it.

A

Anonymous

yahoo. finally some discussion on this topic!!!

i just really wish to know if i am wasting my time or not.

i know that inlet temps work out in the end being the same. or there about. just really want to kno wif its worth the hastle.

sr20 forums seem like a bunch of kids so there didnt bring much help.

Keira

As in my previous post,,,

I wouldn't have one again, was forever fooking about with it :(

When the pump failed it was basically not doing anything cos without the water getting pumped through the pre-rad it was just getting hot absorbing heat through the exchanger, might aswell have not been on the car.

jonesgti_r

Would it be possible to have a seperate system that you could use as and when like track days or drag runs?
Was thinking of maybe a cooling jacket after the intercooler which you could run ice water when needed but drain and switch off for day to day use.
Probably to expensive for the gains

S

stuart rawlinson

I had when on the first R about 4 years ago

Had its own rad to cool the water down etc etc did it do its job :?: didnt have the car long enuff to test it as soon after fitting it some scum bag stole the car but as some one allready said if the pump packs up and leaves home um Hot running water on tap :?

But it did make 330 BHP with it fitted

Stu

S

Sirnixalot

jonesgti_r said:
Would it be possible to have a seperate system that you could use as and when like track days or drag runs?
Was thinking of maybe a cooling jacket after the intercooler which you could run ice water when needed but drain and switch off for day to day use.
Probably to expensive for the gains

you NEED to run a dedicated cooling system for the water to air intercooler core...there is no other sensible way to do it. You can drop ice in the resivuar on track days and such yes. But its more of a drag racing thing. IF you use it on a road course i have a feeling the latter laps times will begin to suffer from the ice melting (not enough cooling/power at the end laps)

Nad

Sirnixalot said:
Not true Nad. These water to air systems can reduce operating temps well below ambient if ice and ice water/coolant is used.
Ice melts and in the end is going to reach ambient temperature. How is that going to be efficient. No one said that it would be a decicated setup hence my example wasnt stated with this in mind.

Nad

P.S. Also adds more weight ;) If they were so good why dont manufacturers and rally teams use them..........

S

Sirnixalot

It is more effective for drag racing.

Road racing and daily driving...air to air works best.

Oh and as for the rally crack....dont you know what a Celica GT4 is :p

Nad

Well spoke to Nikko on msn and I won, air to air is better :lol:

Sorry, do u clasify the fat GT4 as a rally car :wink:

Nad

S

Sirnixalot

Nad said:
Well spoke to Nikko on msn and I won, air to air is better :lol:

Sorry, do u clasify the fat GT4 as a rally car :wink:

Nad
Under certain conditions its better.

And if you do your research the GT4 was a shit load better than the Pulsar :wink:

Nad

Well if the forum bloody worked I was gonna edit my post and say works better in cold places. Also dont lecture me on the GT4 I'm a rally fan taking the piss. Now get back on msn where u belong and back to ur phones :lol:

Nad

A

Anonymous

hmm dew to lack of engine bay space i think i shall steer clear of the water to air unit now. as i would want a really big one to make it more effective. looks like front mount is how its going to be..