water cooled turbo - bypassing? not on a GtiR...

A

Anonymous

hi all, now i know it's not a GtiR, but it's got a turbo... and my best mate's got a GtiR, so i thought i might ask you lot...

i've gotta watercooled turbo on my celica GT4, seem to have a problem with the sealing inside it, turbo pressure getting into the cooling system... definately not h/gasket as no CO or CO2 reading on the radiator, so this seems the natural suspect, especially as it pressurises massively on throttle lift off (no dump valve)

has anyone run a turbo car with the watercooling bypassed? i know i can expect a shortened turbo life at the very least, but that's not such a concern... i've not got the cash to rip the turbo apart at the moment, that's all!

any help would be appreciated as i'm just heading up the garage and i'm gonna fix it one way or the other!

Owain

S

Sunny Nutter

You could definatly try disconecting the coolant supply to the turbo and run the engine to see if your coolant system is still being pressurised....as a fault finding diagnostic.

but on a road car it is not advisable to reduce the cooling of your turbo, it is a practice that is done on rally cars, but they get a turbo rebuild so bloody often anyway!
I know of two mates who had this done on their R's and they both had to get new turbos within a very very short time!

A

Anonymous

problem seems to be solved, pinhole in a pipe and a piss-poor job of bleeding the system when i dropped the coolant (i'm used to Fords!)

0.8 Bar and counting... :D

o.

A

Anonymous

thanks all.... now, should my car really be quicker than my mate's R??? cos it seems to be...;)

owain :D