URGENT> fuel pump fitting problem! help me please!!!!

DRC

Hi, just this second given up on what the problem is and need your help.

Right, i have just fitted a walbro fuel pump (no problems with the fitting).
its plumed in fine go to start it and i find there is no feed to the fuel pump.

i have checked the fuse. and that is fine. there is still a feed going through that. but none at the fuel pump. (i ran the car then took the fuse out until the car died to get rid of pressure in the fuel lines b4 i started, may be this has caused a problem) im lost and i really wanted to take her out tonight but now i cant. any ideas guys??

DRC

would it be ok to wire it straight to the ignition? or would this cause problems? but im still baffeled to what has caused it

geetee

Check the fuel pump relay in the engine bay is clicking over when you turn the ignition on. It's in the fuse box mounted on the inner drivers wing.

Where are you checking the feed? At the connector that plugs into the cover on the tank?

If so, are you checking it between the 2 wires on that connector? If so, try testing between the live feed and a good chassis earth nearby.

I had a similar problem recently that just turned out to be the earth side of this had broken down badly. Spliced the wire by the connector and ran it to a chassis ground by the rear light - all fine again.

The other problem I had was the connections in the plug that plugs into the cover on the tank had become loose - just need a little manipulation with a small screwdriver :)

If you have no power at the connector when tested to a good earth, and the relay is clicking over, you are probably best running a new cable from the relay to the back of the car. Easy than trying to trace a break in the cable.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

DRC

right im going to give that a go mate. i will let u know how it works. thank you. if this fails is it ok to still run it from the ignition?

geetee

Preferably not straight from the ignition, try to get it run from the switched side of the relay (if the relay still works of course). I doubt the wiring to the ignition itself is heavy enough to carry the constant current draw.

You'll also notice that when you turn the ignition on (but not start) you can hear the fuel pump prime for 2 - 3 seconds then stop. I guess this is controlled via the relay somehow. I don't see what harm it would do to just have the pump spinning the whole time though (?)

I ran mine for a few days patched directly into a permanent live feed I had left over from an old ICE install. I had to get in the boot every time I parked up to disconnect it :lol:

Not ideal but it worked whilst I trolled about getting the bits I needed.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)