Tyre weld

Sonnygtir

Anyone used this stuff that is meant for bikes? Good or bad? I'm thinking of getting a can. The space saver won't fit over my brakes on the front and the boot is small enough as it is without a 17inch spare in it.

A

Anonymous

used once on car tyre, worked fine keep to about 50 mph and did about 50 miles on it :D

kyepan

you could always switch a back tyre to the front then put the space saver on the back if its not really poo weather and you have time

JU5TY

Isn’t there something with it where you can’t use it if the wheels over a certain size of the tyre is to low profile?

Or am I imagining that…

A

Anonymous

OK for an emergency to get you home but stuffs your tyre, as tyres today tend not to puncture unlesss for a reason.Id rather get a new tyre not the technology it was 20 years ago now

Shaun

Ste1988 said:
OK for an emergency to get you home but stuffs your tyre, as tyres today tend not to puncture unlesss for a reason.
:shock: Not quite sure where you got this one from Ste :shock: But i fit tyres for a living :!: It is ok for emergency use and does work quite well,but it doesnt stuff your tyre :!: A few well known tyre companies will probably refuse to repair the tyre after you use tyreweld,but only because it makes a bloody mess :!: But who told you that modern tyres don't puncture :?: If you go over anything thats sharp you still have a 50/50 chance of getting one :!:

A

Anonymous

I agree with what your saying this stuff was avaliable 20 + years ago initially for motorcycles quick fix to get you home I wouldnt drive a car 9-5 on it only in an emergency.With regards to tyres 30 years ago tyres would puncture far more than today ,yes punctures are still there but at least the inner tube isnt reqd in the fronts as it was. I definitely had more problems with tyres 20+ yrs ago than now roll on toyo 888S :wink:

A

AJ4

Both times I've tried it, it didn't work. The puncture must have been too big I guess. ( and both times the tyre garage swore at me because I forgot to tell them I'd used it... :D )

But - I found its really good for slow punctures, porous alloys etc, seals them quite well.

A

Anonymous

I've used tyre weld before and it works fine. You can have the puncture repaired (depending on where it is obviously) it just makes a hell of a mess as Shaun says. In my bike I use Gunk (Bright green stuff you can get from Halfords Cycle dept.). You just put it in your tyres and it seals punchtures as you get them. And it's permanent! I changed my tyres and had 3 punctures that I didn't even know about, they must have been there for ages! I don't know if it works in car tyres but I cant see why not.

Dunc

antgtir

I have a can of the tyre weld myself but haven't yet needed to use it.

Its ok for a get you home, its not designed to be a permanent fix for the tyre. Some garages may also try and fob you off by saying because you've used the tyre weld the tyre is no good, this is utter b******s. All they are trying to do is scare you into getting a new tyre and also its probably because they have to clean the tyre before they repair it.

If they turn around and say that then take it somewhere else becasue they are no doubt trying to rip you off and will try it again in the future.

I know this from experience, i used to work for a well known tyre/mechanic firm and we regularly used to get people who had tried to get their tyre repaired but was told it was no good when it was totally fine (apart from puncture of course).

Obviously sometimes you do get the decent place that will tell you how it is and so i think its probably best if you get a couple of opinions before settling with one of them.

Just thought id tell ya, :wink: .