turbo on way out?

T

Toady

i know most turbo's will tend to burn oil if left to idle for a while when oil temp is warm, and if you boost it and let off then the turbo will let oil thru and you'll see it smoke, but does the R do the same if the turbo goes? only mine is fine when idling, and when driving normally, but when boosting the engine seems to be burning a bit of oil. it may be cos the car has not been able to rev over 4k for about 5mths due to a running problem, but it doesnt seem to boost like my old r did either? :(

anyone on here blown their tub? if so what did it do?smoke on idle, run down, or boost? cheers! :oops:

MarkTurbo

If your turbo is blown you'll get smoke on over run :wink: Just boot it and then come right off the throttle, if you get blue smoke after a few seconds it'll be the turbo.

T

Toady

yep thats exactly what i thought as thats what turbo's tend to do, was just wondering if they differed on the R. must just be crap thats been built up in the i/c and pipework over the last few months, and now its capable of boosting and revving over 4k it getting forced into the combustion?! :)
i hope thats what it is anyway! :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You could always try cleaning the intercooler and breather systems out and see if that makes a difference.

T

Toady

done that, it clogged up with oil again, although it hasnt been as bad since fitting my blizt bov instead of the standard one. ill clean it out again now and see if that makes a diff! :wink:

T

Toady

the turbo bearing is fine with no excees play, im thinking its just a perished/knackered oil seal on the inlet side perhaps thats lettin oil into the i/c etc? car dont smoke when driven off boost, and not really on the over run, neither if left to idle for a while. :?

MarkTurbo

Have you got an aftermarket oil separator/catch tank?

If not, i'll bet thats what the problem is :wink:

I used to keep getting oil in my intercooler and boost pipes until i put a catch tank on the pipe that goes onto the turbo intake pipe 8)

T

Toady

nope just standard oil breather, i cleaned that out which didnt do much help if any! :cry:

MarkTurbo

Toady, if you want a cheap way to check if its the breather system thats the problem:

Take the breather pipe from the rocker cover to turbo intake off where it connects to the turbo intake pipe.

Block off the hole on the turbo intake pipe with a bung or something.

Get an old fanta bottle and drill a few tiny holes around the top of it (just enough so air will come out when you blow into it :wink: ) then cut the top of the bottle so you can push the pipe from the rocker cover into it.

Then clean the oil out of the intercooler and boost hoses, drive the car around for a couple days or something and then see if you're still getting oil going into the intercooler.

Saves spending your cash on an aftermarket breather system when it might not be needed :wink:

I've got a proper breather kit on mine now, but it was tempting to just leave the fanta bottle under the bonnet :lol: :lol: :lol:

T

Toady

MarkTurbo said:
I've got a proper breather kit on mine now, but it was tempting to just leave the fanta bottle under the bonnet :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
saves money on buying a new tubby too!lol! cheers mate, ill try that!

T

Toady

done the bottle trick and hasnt helped so aint my breather system.....unless its cos i used an evian bottle instead of a fanta one! :wink: :lol: :lol:

T

Toady

ive thought of that too, but i dont get any piston slap which you'd have thought would be noticeable 1st, and if it was excessive blow by then oil would prob be exiting the dipstick due to excessive pressure in the sumpo etc?! :?
also doesnt smoke at all off boost, or when 1st started, or when left to idle for ages?!? :? :evil:

ive yet to find a compression tester to test the condition of the rings etc, bloke i bought it off said he did one and came out with roughly 155-160psi if i remember correctly, but dunno if i can trust what he said much-if you know what i mean! :roll:

B

bean

Toady said:
ive yet to find a compression tester to test the condition of the rings etc, bloke i bought it off said he did one and came out with roughly 155-160psi if i remember correctly, but dunno if i can trust what he said much-if you know what i mean! :roll:
Thanks a lot :roll:

Yes, I did a compression test and cylinder no. 2 was around 135psi, all other were around 155psi. :)

T

Toady

bean said:
Toady said:
Thanks a lot :roll:

Yes, I did a compression test and cylinder no. 2 was around 135psi, all other were around 155psi. :)
im not saying the seller was not to be trusted! just that as you prob know....if someone needs to sell a car, they mite not tell all? if u know what i mean! :oops:

B

bean

Toady said:
Toady said:
im not saying the seller was not to be trusted! just that as you prob know....if someone needs to sell a car, they mite not tell all? if u know what i mean! :oops:
Good, because I told you everything I knew about the car.